Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Kona and thought I'd post up some color as my silent protest against the grey gloomy weather. And to cheer up Jeremy.

Nothing big as I didn't go out on a charter this time, but small and feisty/weird/colorful can be fun if you're a species junkie like me. I used 4, 5 and 6 weights and a variety of shrimpy searun cutthroat patterns and small mantis shrimp and some green and tan blind charlies for the omnivores. The winter swells were POUNDING so shore fishing was pretty tough. Nonetheless, between home projects I had fun and got some fish.

Most of these are crappy cell phone pics so don't expect much...Jeremy, these are for you brothah!

A goldspot trevally on a purple spider...

Water Vertebrate Nature Fin Fluid

A bluefin trevally/papio on Leland's euphasid, one of the best tropical patterns around...

Fishing net Fish hook Fisherman Fish Seafood

Stocky Hawkfish / po'opa'a on a mantis shrimp...these guys are super aggressive predators and will hit topwater flies too.

Water Vertebrate Sunglasses Goggles Plant

Plant Organism Underwater Fish Marine biology

A couple black triggerfish on Estaz shrimp and green blind charlies from my secret spot...
Blue Azure Fin Organism Fish

Vertebrate Fin Organism Underwater Fish

Water Shorts Vertebrate People in nature Hat

A nenue...
Organism Fin Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish

A damselfish with a hole clean through his back. Tough bugger to survive whatever attacked him!

Water Fish Natural material Fin Marine biology

Kua Bay had NO BEACH due to high swells. It'll rebuild itself in a couple months but no beach at Kua impacts bikini viewing...

Water Sky Azure Cloud Coastal and oceanic landforms

This is a very large saddle wrasse specimen. They are not big fish, but the colors never fail to make me smile...

Organism Natural material Fish Fin Electric blue

Aloha.

Water Sky Water resources Cloud Beach

Reptile Organism Terrestrial plant Scaled reptile Adaptation

Water Cloud Sky Water resources Azure

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Mingo:

Great report and photographs! Glad to see that you are again posting some of your fishing adventures. I have always looked forward to read and see them! Hope that everything has been going well with your life since your heart breaking lose in the last year or so.

Roger

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Never seen a wrasse bigger than that one. It's a beauty!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I just got back from Kona and thought I'd post up some color as my silent protest against the grey gloomy weather. And to cheer up Jeremy.

Nothing big as I didn't go out on a charter this time, but small and feisty/weird/colorful can be fun if you're a species junkie like me. I used 4, 5 and 6 weights and a variety of shrimpy searun cutthroat patterns and small mantis shrimp and some green and tan blind charlies for the omnivores. The winter swells were POUNDING so shore fishing was pretty tough. Nonetheless, between home projects I had fun and got some fish.

Most of these are crappy cell phone pics so don't expect much...Jeremy, these are for you brothah!

A goldspot trevally on a purple spider...

View attachment 134166

A bluefin trevally/papio on Leland's euphasid, one of the best tropical patterns around...

View attachment 134167
Stocky Hawkfish / po'opa'a on a mantis shrimp...these guys are super aggressive predators and will hit topwater flies too.

View attachment 134168
View attachment 134169

A couple black triggerfish on Estaz shrimp and green blind charlies from my secret spot...
View attachment 134170
View attachment 134171
View attachment 134172
A nenue...
View attachment 134173

A damselfish with a hole clean through his back. Tough bugger to survive whatever attacked him!

View attachment 134174

Kua Bay had NO BEACH due to high swells. It'll rebuild itself in a couple months but no beach at Kua impacts bikini viewing...

View attachment 134175
This is a very large saddle wrasse specimen. They are not big fish, but the colors never fail to make me smile...

View attachment 134176
Aloha.

View attachment 134177
View attachment 134178
View attachment 134179
I like that you showed yourself fishing, in addition to the pictures of the fish.

I recall a trip to Maui and snorkeling near the hotel, there was quite the variety of fish among some lava rocks there. A school of what I took to be small bonefish were hanging out there, and three trevally of some sort, pretty good size compared to the other lava reef fish I saw, can swimming in and then away, and back again one or two times.

I have been to Kona once and stayed at a hotel near a beach park with turtles and snorkeling and a big underwater influx of freshwater mixing with the saltwater. Also alot of cultural remains there. Not sure if the hotel is still there. (Kahaluu Beach Park?)

anyway, what i am getting at, is you showed me that one could go out fly casting with basic patterns and catch interesting fish. I'll remember that if I have another trip.

Jay

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mingo - you seem to be a well respected Kona resource. Top three charter captains on Kona overall? Fish fun and overall experience? Thanks in advance! We are going in June.
Thanks. For deep sea multi-species Russ Nitta on the Lepika is my favorite. Light tackle inshore, Del *****. The third place could be split between many other awesome captains over there. But you have to know that most of them are going to troll and only troll for marlin or yellowfin. Those are the marketable fish they sell to supplement their incomes so that is what you will most likely be going after. Russ and Del are opportunists, going for what is hitting at the time. High fun quotient with both of them. And you can flyfish with both IF the opportunity is there. I've been with both when mahi mahi were thick or inshore species like wahanui (a type of jobfish) were hitting poppers. You just have to take what comes and not expect any type of species to be around when you're there. But you'll have fun. These photos were all taken on Russ's and Del's boats by me or my wife.
Water Vertebrate Blue Fin Fish
Water Boat Shorts Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Vertebrate Water Bait Fin Fish
Water Cloud Sky Boat Casting (fishing)
Water Sky Smile Cloud Shorts

Water Liquid Fin Common dolphins Fluid

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.