Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
east coast transplant
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am going to be at a retreat at Fort Flagler for three days next week, and would love some advice for fishing there. I've searched the forums here and it seems to be a pretty well-known place (at least in the summer), but I couldn't find much info about the fishing during this time of year. Also, while I've fished off Seattle beaches for running salmon with some success, I've never gone after SRCs or Rezzies (aside from plenty of reading on this forum).

What kind of fish are going to be out there this time of year? What times of day/tides will be best to go after them? What flies will be most effective? Also, if anyone's been out there recently, I'd love to get a report...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions... I am really excited to chase SRCs and Rezzies for the first time and hope Fort Flagler will be a good place to start.

Rob

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm guessing you want to stay on the island or at least not spend a lot of time driving. My guess would be you might expect to hit blackmouth off the beach at Marrowstone Light at the Fort. However, not many are showing up at Midchannel, so it would be a very long shot. Other options are hitting the spit of sand going out from the campground towards Rat Island. I'd fish it both sides, but that's kind of an unknown. There is the chance of small blackmouth there as well. Oak Bay to the south of the island has its share of residents at times. I've not been out this year, so I won't even guess if they're there now. You do have some opportunity for beach fishing on the south end of Marrowstone and Indian Island that might put you close to beach-crusing rezzies. Then there is always Government Cut between Indian Island and the mainland. There is no telling what might be there, but it can be good at times for SRC. But I'll remind you that I've not been on the water for a while, and these are only possibilities at best.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Hey, good timing! Salmon season opens up in Area 6 tomorrow morning (Feb 13th, Saturday). However, the scuttlebutt is that most of the Blackmouth are still a bit to the West of there, aka the waters off Freshwater Bay, Ediz Hook, & Dungeness Spit. So maybe it won't be too crowded at Ft. Flagler and around there yet. Good luck and have fun!

·
east coast transplant
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I've read a fair amount on here about SRCs/rezzies, so that's what I was planning for, but blackmouth could be a good option as well. I don't know much about blackmouth, unfortunately -- is it even possible to catch blackmouth from the shore? If so, what kind of flies/techniques are most effective?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Sometimes the blackmouth will wander in close enough to get from the beach. Personally, whenever I get up that way and fish from the beach, I just fish for the searun cutts and everything else is a bonus by-catch. But I understand that the point up there at Ft Flagler is a good place for the rezzies and the possibility of a blackmouth, and that other spots are better for targeting just the cutts.
Bob Triggs knows that whole area like the back of his hand. If you're lucky, he might chime in.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
The two biggest sea run cutthroat that I have evers seen caught around here were both caught on swung flies at the very tip of Marowstone Point beach. People do sometimes catch Blackmouth off of the beaches, often undersized fish though you could get slammed.
Winter steelhead migrate along that beach as well and every winter a few are caught there. Sea run cuts are all around the Island though the betr fishing is on the west side from south end to the bridge at the Ships Canal. Just find some current anywhere and start at it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.