Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gong to be up at Larabee State park next week and was curious if anyone has fished Fragrance Lake? I thought I might try the salt off the beach also. Any help would be much appreciated.

Wazoo

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Wazoo,

I know people hike up there to fish it, although I have never. As for the salt...I know people fish off the rocks...you may want to try at the oyster beds at the bottom of Chuckanut...near the "Oyster Bar" (have read that SRC tend to hang around them). Call H&H they will stear you in the right direction. I know you will need a float tube to fish Fragrance...since there is no bank fishing possibilities.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Samish river enters the salt nearby and it has always had a good population of SRCs. So it would only make sense that they'd be around there although I've only fished the Samish and never tried the salt in that area to verify it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Saltchuck,

How far of a walk is it from Thomas Rd. Bridge to the salt? I have fished near the bridge and have seen a few people walking back, is there any other way to get to the mouth than the trail along the river?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I fished Fragrance Lake a few years ago and caught a few small cutthroat. There is no way to backcast so bring a tube or you could use a spinning rod (I hate to do it, but I took a bunch of kids there one summer and that was all we could) with a clear streamline bobber and a streamer like a carrey special.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

You must like walking. There are two roads closer to the salt. One is called Samish Island Rd. It crosses the river right above the mouth,and the other one is called Best Rd. You can park there and walk the dike down stream. At least that was the way I did it a couple of years ago. If you have a Washington State Atlas and Gazetteer go to page 109 Col D5.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
I graduated from WWU about 2 years ago and hiked into Fragrance Lake a couple of times while I went to school. Like everyone else said, back casting is not an alternative on 95% of the lake, so you're gonna need a tube. I had fairly good luck with trout in the 8-12 inch range. Pretty good 1/2 day trip.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good dry fly fishing using stimulators on the surface (skate technique), and saltwater opportunity exists around larabbe;you might try the mouth of oyster creek. I hope that is not a secret for anyone, but I have never seen anyone down there so what the hell...

Good luck,
Mcronariver

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all, thanks for info.:beer2 I will be taking a tube that is light and easy to carry, so Fragrance Lake should be a good time. If I get a chance I will also see what I can find for SRC's.

I will post results next week.

Wazoo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.