Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm giving away these flies and fly box to the first person that says they want them. They are mostly Puget sound flies for pinks, sea run cutthroats, coho, flounders, etc. I'm hoping these go to a newbie who is looking for some flies and wants to get into the sport. Also for shipping costs I will only be giving these away to someone in Western Washington.

Purple Bag Automotive lighting Magenta Grass

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
That's a great idea! I have SO many flies that are perfectly good (if not just a bit banged up) and go unused simply because I prefer slight variations of the same thing now. I might have to do this soon too. Nice job XP.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
nice work!...that's actually a really good idea. I've got more flies than I know what to do with.
Yet, you, I and just about everyone else just keeps tying.......;)
Really nice gesture XP.
SF

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
This is a great thread & got me thinking about my fly boxes for the sound v.s. rivers. Growing up, fishing the Snake in ID, I would be stressed if I only had 1 or 2 of a pattern in my box. We'd mostly be pounding flies tight to the bank from the drift boat so it wasn't uncommon to loose half a dozen of a hot pattern in a day. As a result I got good at tying basic salmon flies, hopper patterns, Super X & basic caddis in bulk; usually a dozen at a time.

On the beach or kayak in the sound I hardly EVER loose a fly. Far fewer branches & trees to hook + much stronger tippit means I have a ton of fairly beat-up old flies in my boxes. Even for the salt I stared out tying 4-5 of a single pattern but now I'm thinking I should just tie 1 or 2 and try to make a larger variety of colors, sizes, and patterns. Plus with stinger hooks and now a tube kit I can easily replace the hooks & keep the fly around.

What are other guys doing? Do you prioritize volume of your go-to flies or variety?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.