Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not try to run the upper sauk river in a canoe!
I repeat: do not try it. Me and a friend of mine tried this yestereday. Not only did we get skunked but we almost got killed on awful sweepers, blind channels, and rapids several times. Finally at the bottom of the float we were lining the boat by a rapid and logjam, and the current pushed it against a log, as it started to tip and fill with water, I pulled the rope. This caused the front section which held the rope to come off of the canoe. It and the rods went floating downstream. After a frantic sprint I caught up to the canoe and my buddy's rod. Mine, may it rest in peace, is still there somewhere. It was a Sage RPL3 with a tioga ten large arbor reel and the yancy line system on it. Rod was a gift, reel and line 3 months old. Value~ approx 685$!
i am a broke 18 yearold so I dont think I will be steelheading much in the next few months!
The rod is in the sauk in the first turn above the suiattle!
-Thomas:bawling

G

·
TomB,

I will forego the urge to preach and lecture as I think you know how lucky you are. Sorry to hear about the rod but am happy that noone was hurt.

For anyone reading this out there, the upper float on the Sauk is not for novices be they in canoe, raft or driftboat. Please don't go unless you are 1) good on the sticks and 2) take the time to scout out the braids. If possible, go with someone that knows the river.

Of special note, about 2/3 of the way down the river braids into three channels. GO LEFT! There has already been one boat lost this month up there. Don't be afraid to walk your boat through the narrow mouth on the left braid. What ever you do, do not go right or middle!

sinktip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless it has changed. If you are good on the oars...you go way right! There is a channel over there that you can't see from the top side. Don't go middle though unless you want to eat a tree. If your not confident on the sticks...go left and walk it!

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
In the above posts one local expert says "go left".
And then another local expert says "go right".

In my experience as an oarsman,with over thirty years experience, never take advice on running a river off the internet or a barstool. You go to the river and run it with someone who knows the way, preferably on the same day(s) that you want to row it.You learn something about the water before you go and you make sure that you understand the seasons, flows, major hazards etc first. And be sure you know your own limitations and the limitations of your equipment, and passengers if any.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have read this thread like 30 times now and the one thought that keeps coming to my mind is: how bad I feel for you loosing your rod and reel, especially being a gift. I got an older cheap rod and reel setup if you need something to get you by until money provides a better setup?? Glad everyones ok too :thumb

drop me an email if you want that old setup?? you could just have it if you want it??

~Patrick ><>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.