Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I spent 2 weeks on Vahine Island for my honeymoon, a small island located on the barrier reef around Taha, fished almost everyday. However, I never flyfished because I was to stupid to bring my gear! The water is "crystal" clear, it is almost unbelieveable how clear it is...depth perception is awefully tricky! What seems to be 5' under the water is more like 15' to 20'! I used mostly the gear they had at the resort, but I would say if you brought and 8-10 weight and a serious collection of surface flies you will definitly catch "something"! The natives set me up with a spin caster that had a bobber 24" above a hook dressed with a rubber squid, and told cast and real as fast as I could! If you can get your hands on "tube" flys I would say they would be a better bet! As for types of fish, I was in a perogue (type of canoe) and came head on with a fish that probably was the size of a 100-150 tarpon in 2' of water, and I know it wasn't a shark! Lastly if you don't get any better info, just bring a rod and some clousers! You will catch something in the lagoons!!! :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
839 Posts
The subject of fly fishing in French Polynesia has been discussed with mixed reviews in the Angling Report lately. From what I've read, the populated areas with subsistance fishing aren't that great, but some of the remote areas have good bonefishing. If you can afford a guide for a day or two, try calling Mike Michelak at The Fly Shop in Redding 530-222-3555, or e-mailing [email protected]. They might be able to set you up. Otherwise, I would just bring an 8wt and a few saltwater flies and see what you can turn up. I guarantee that there are Trevally around anywhere you go in the South Pacific, you just need to find them.

·
AKA Beadhead
485 Posts
I have spent a lot of time in french polynesia but never ff'd there. Personally I would spend more time scuba and snorkling-you'll end up seeing more fish! Moorea has two deep bays (cook's bay is one), and I don't think ff'ing would be much use there. I don't know about the possibility of bonefish in the flats there- never heard or seen anyone doing much near shore fishing other than spearfishing. If your serious about getting some gamefish I would hit a pass between the reefs that surround the Island. There will be jacks and barracuda there, you may want to try going deep for them. One thing is for sure, you will probably be fishing for fish that have never seen a fly before. I honestly don't know how they will react to you flyline. If the water is clear they will see it. Tahiti does not have the clearest water in the world, it can get downright cloudy if there has been rain or lots of surf. Also you may be in store for some hot, humid, but hopfully not too wet, weather November thru March. Good Luck I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Brush up on your french! Try the local dish Poisson Cru its a raw fish sald kind of like ceviche.

Chris

PS If you make it to the Island of Huahine say hi to my friend Gilles (the air traffic controller) I bet he could tell you some fishing spots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.