Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Slainte
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could probably be in the Stillwater forum but I'm looking for all available suggestions.

I fish a Rio Deep 7 line most of the time while fishing lakes. Almost every cast after stripping the line onto my apron, it tangles in itself. I mean tangles like nobody's business. Knots you couldn't tie yourself if you tried. I like the line because it gets down to the business level right now. But the frustration of having to untangle the line is getting on my nerves (what little I still have).

I fished with an intermediate line last week and while it doesn't tangle up, it's slow to get down to where the fish are.

Has anyone overcome this issue with fast sinking lines?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I agree with Krusty -
Stretch the heck out the line. In addition I have learned to coil the line in my off rod hand. I like to take about 6 feet of line in each loop and hold the line in my fingers with each new loop a little closer to the finger tips. It helps to keep the line out of harm way (and mostly off the water if wading) and as I false cast I let the appropriate amount of the line to slide of the fingers. Takes a bit of practice but is effect though the stripping basket is a nice alternative; especially if not hiking through brush.

Curt

·
Registered
480 Posts
Most of my lines are RIO, but I use an Airflo Sixth Sense Sink 5 for lakes and it doesn't seem to tangle much. The only reason I bought the Airflo was the shop didn't have any RIO sinking lines. Maybe they knew sometiing ....

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Airflo makes a Sixth Sense sink in a type 7 that has a sink rate very close to the Rio Deep 7. The lightest line weight it comes in is 6/7 which is also about the same as the Deep 7. Like Roper I am getting fed up with the tangles and the Sixth Sense is what I'll be moving up to. There is not a helluva lot of selection in fast sinking lines when you get into the type 7 range. And Airflo isn't that easy to find in my experience.

·
Be Like Mike!
296 Posts
Mikey's Tips for less Tangles:

1) Stretch your lines often.

2) Use a larger diameter reel so your line is stored in larger coils.

3) Try to strip in your line controlled, larger loops first, smaller as you bring in more line.

4) Use a Stripping Basket, or add cones or Zip Ties to your stripping apron.

5) When you shoot line form a "O" with your stripping hand, don't just let go of the line. You will be surprised how many tangles you can eliminate.

6) Give up flyfishing and try golf instead.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,755 Posts
I've always found that Rio and Teeny (while I love both of their tapers and how they perform when they don't tangle) tangle quite a bit. The Airflo lines that I've been starting to use? not so much, and feel slicker and feel like they have less stretch (Teeny tangles and stretches a bit more than the others, but I also feel like its running line is the slickest). Bottom line though, I've been gradually moving over to Airflo. Others mileage may vary...

Cheers,
Randy

·
FISHON206
4,692 Posts
Roper, I had the same problems with a Rio density compensated type six sink line. The running section was as thin as backing, twisted and tied itself into frickin loops and knots! I also liked the fast sink but screw the tangles...lost a few fish and flies while trying to untie the flyline. I now use a type six sink tip, at first I wasn't sure if it would get down quick enough but after several times of taking weeds off my fly I'm sold! (And catching fish) Now the running section is a dry line that hasn't tangled yet and surprisingly casts well. Just another option.....

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I started fishing Airflo Sixth Sense full sink lines, type 5 and type 7, in the last year and certainly notice a difference with less tangling than my other lines. I think the no-stretch core combined with the coating that Airflo uses contributes to the improved handling. I also fish a Rio InTouch Camolux (no-stretch core) and find it tangles less than my old Aqualux line (stretchy core).

Another factor is making sure you cast the full amount of line that you have stripped off the reel. I read an article a few years ago that suggested that leaving a few coils of line in your lap at the end of the casts contributes to line twist and more tangles. If you adjust the length of line so that your cast ends with a little tug against the reel every time, your tangles will decrease.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.