Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The "dogs of the WFF" thread was, and still is, great. One of my favorite threads since I got here.

I want to hear your dog stories. Particularly those that take their dogs out fly fishing with them.

The best one I can offer is this:

My black lab went out fly fishing so many times with me that he learned that a bent rod meant "come back and watch". I didn't train him for this or ask him to come. He was always off on his own, doing his thing. After awhile though, as soon as that rod bent, he was huffing it back to my position. No call from me. He was just always watching me on the river.

He loved sniffing those trout. I would pull them up out of the water for just a few seconds and it was like he had been waiting for that moment all his life. Funny thing though, his dog vision was completely skewed by water. As soon as those trout disappeared under the surface, he had no idea where they went. Just this puzzled look.

He's older now. Can't take him out there anymore. His 4 year old chocolate lab sister likes to try to bite the heads of the trout I show her.

She still has some learning to do.....

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I could never have taken any of my labs fishing. I would have had to duct tape them to a tree to try and keep them out of the water while I fished. Looking at getting new lab (will try yellow for the first time) soon

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
When Kuma, my 200 lb. Newfie, was about 2 years old I thought it would be cool to take him fishing with me in the sled. Arrived at the launch, got the boat ready and in the water then took about a half hour to get Kuma into the boat. First issue was to get him to stop playing and swimming in the river. Then I had to teach him to get into the boat. You just don't lift a 200 lb. dog up and put him the boat. He has to get in on his own. Finally get him loaded and off we go. At first he seems ok riding in the boat and is enjoying the wind. All of a sudden he decides to swimming and over the side he goes. Big huge splash when he hits the water. I am scared he could have been injured as I was on plane when the dumbass bailed but his head pops and he looks ok. As I stated already you just don't grab a 200 lb. newf and drag him back into the boat so I had to "herd" him to shore. Now he is all excited and wants to play, splashing and swimming around. About another half hour or so I get asswipe to load back up in the boat. Ok, off we go and everything is fine for about 10 minutes then, yep, Kuma decides to go swimming again. Once again I herd to a spot on shore where I can beach the boat and load my dipshit dog.

The second dive off the boat was the last one. I went back to the launch with a firm hold on Kuma to keep his ass in the boat. Loaded the boat up, waited for Kuma to finish up one more romp up and down the river bank and back home we went. Kuma never came with me again in the boat.

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When Kuma, my 200 lb. Newfie, was about 2 years old I thought it would be cool to take him fishing with me in the sled. Arrived at the launch, got the boat ready and in the water then took about a half hour to get Kuma into the boat. First issue was to get him to stop playing and swimming in the river. Then I had to teach him to get into the boat. You just don't lift a 200 lb. dog up and put him the boat. He has to get in on his own. Finally get him loaded and off we go. At first he seems ok riding in the boat and is enjoying the wind. All of a sudden he decides to swimming and over the side he goes. Big huge splash when he hits the water. I am scared he could have been injured as I was on plane when the dumbass bailed but his head pops and he looks ok. As I stated already you just don't grab a 200 lb. newf and drag him back into the boat so I had to "herd" him to shore. Now he is all excited and wants to play, splashing and swimming around. About another half hour or so I get asswipe to load back up in the boat. Ok, off we go and everything is fine for about 10 minutes then, yep, Kuma decides to go swimming again. Once again I herd to a spot on shore where I can beach the boat and load my dipshit dog.

The second dive off the boat was the last one. I went back to the launch with a firm hold on Kuma to keep his ass in the boat. Loaded the boat up, waited for Kuma to finish up one more romp up and down the river bank and back home we went. Kuma never came with me again in the boat.
Bwahaha. That's great. I had similar issues with my canoe and all my dogs. I solved it one day when both the little jerks unloaded on me and nearly flipped us. Turns out they really didn't like it when I accelerated away from them and made them trail me about a third of a mile. Lots of barking, crying, and furious swimming.

They stopped jumping out after that.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Took my first Lab fishing a couple times. I'd be navel deep swinging flies and Cisco'd be swimming by my side. He couldn't stand to sit on the beach and watch. Everytime he'd see another Angler, off he'd go, bounding through the water to say high to his new best friend. I was so proud. After three trips I just left him home, and never took our second.
The new pup will go with though, eventually.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
A lot of years ago I was fishing with a long time local resident friend up in the Ontario shield country. It's a BIG brawling river, we were picking away at an inside seam hoping for Steel. I see something swimming across the river waaay down below at the head of some rapids. "What the hell is that?" I ask. "My Dog" he laughs.. a small liver Brittany. I've always known some dogs can really swim, especially when conditioned, but that one brought new found respect to the fact.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've tried many times to train my dog to stay out of the water while I fish and it just is not possible, she is the most water obsessed dog I have ever had or seen. She just can not stay out. But she is ok in a boat, so she is my lake fishing dog

·
Registered
38 Posts
Water Boat Watercraft Water resources Vehicle
I have always fished with my labs. They are very good warnings for when ducks may attack. I had an occasional fishing partner once remark as he got in my truck, "Oh, you are bringing your dog. I don't fish with dogs in boats." I told him it was a simple equation in that it is my boat and the dog goes and he could go home if he choose to. He stayed but I could tell he wasn't happy. I told the dog to go to her spot and she stayed there the whole time we fished the lake we were on and never made a peep with the exception of a sounding a warning alarm when ever ducks flew over head. While we beached for lunch and at the end of the fishing she swam the lake made some retrieves and got to play. On the drive home my fishing partner said he had never witnessed a dog behave in a boat before and it was a pleasure to have her. Until she got to arthtic she always went on the pontoon with me also. It got where I had to go through any rapids backwards because she liked it so much.

Water Boat Watercraft Water resources Vehicle

·
Mad Flyentist
1,764 Posts

What a great name for that dog, Kuma is the Japanese word for bear.
It was my great grandfathers name. Back in the day he was in the "100lb ulua from shore" club so I've been told. Apparently it's a local thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.