Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered some fluro leaders on line and noticed an item called furled photochromic leaders that appear braided out of nylon. Can anyone who employs these type provide me with some views as to their use (pros and cons)???? I'm always looking to expand my knowledge of tackle and methods! Thanks.

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
Furled leaders are twisted, not braided...2 different things. I like furled leaders for light line fishing, i.e. 4wt & under. They are very supple and can set a fly down very gently. They will last a long time, providing you don't cast as bad as I do and get wind knots. They can be furled from mono, silk, nylon thread, etc. and all have different properties I suppose. I used to go to the trouble of furling my own but have since given it up and gone back to tying my own mono leaders.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've been using the same mono furled leader for about 5 seasons now. Nice turn over, very little water spray on the pick up, lasts a long time. With a furled leader you just add tippet with either a loop to loop connection, or use a tippet ring and just clinch knot it on.

REE

·
Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek
376 Posts
I have great results for turning over flies with them. Like it was said above, they are durable and can last a long time ( I've had the same one for 6 seasons) I like the BlySky brand ones (www.blueskyfly.com), you can find them at Cabelas.

·
Patagonia Argentina South America
46 Posts
really good for big flies turn over, easy to make, strong ressistance for big fish. I use it for dorados in the north of Argentina.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Buy locally. The Fly Fisher in Lacey makes an excellent selection, and provides them for some the national distributors you're purchasing at the box stores. Just call and ask for Bjorn, he's the only one in the store.

·
Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek
376 Posts
Buy locally. The Fly Fisher in Lacey makes an excellent selection, and provides them for some the national distributors you're purchasing at the box stores. Just call and ask for Bjorn, he's the only one in the store.
Since they're a local shop I will definitely be steering people there instead of Cabelas. Good call.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I second Bjorn at the FF in Lacey. I've been using his floating and compensated sinking furled leaders for 3wt-6wt. Helps lousy casters like me virtually eliminate wind knots, turns over and sets down a fly nice and delicate like. And tippet changes are a snap with the rings.

Bjorn also special-ordered an Echo 2 rod for me, no money up front, and I got to test cast before putting down any cash for same price I'd get on the web. And sold me a fly line matched to the rod and my (lack of) casting style for a good price. Good guy.

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
I was making furled leaders this weekend by casting bulky October caddis patterns. You guys that make your own, is that what you do? Tie on a big hank of elk hair with a curve in it and go out on the lawn and false cast a couple times with it? Do the manufacturers of furled leaders have a false casting machine with a whole bank of rods?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.