Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I cast some G. Loomis fly rods for the first time. I knew Loomis made great Bass "gear" rods. But fly rods? Come on? Loomis makes "gear" rods not fly rods. Sage and Winston make fly rods.

Well after today, I am a G. Loomis Fly Rod guy!

I cast the Whisper Creek, the Cross Current and the NRX. Since the first two have been around, I will leave the comments to the NRX. I cast the 5wt., 7wt. and 10wt. NRX, in 9' foot lengths, except for the 7wt. which was a 10' foot. These rods were cast on the water, but not fished.

The NRX is hands down, the best casting rod that I have ever handled! The 5wt. was crisp, easy loading and delicate, with a 5wt. line. There was plenty of power in the butt and the tip was soft, despite being a fast rod. The 7wt. was tremendous and would make one hell of a Great Lakes Winter Steelhead rod!

The 10wt. was just stupid! I compared the 10wt. NRX with the Xi3. The NRX was a bit lighter, about as fast (if not a touch faster) and it had much less vibration when stopped in the casting stroke. Oh boy can it shoot line. We were throwing the 100ft. line and then shooting some of the backing, effortlessly! You can actually take a step back in the power stroke and shoot more line than if you really pushed it. Never before have I been so impressed with a rod. The NRX rods also come with an aluminum rod tube and a silk type rod sock.

Anyone looking for the newest will not be disappointed! There are a boat load of good rods out there, but I think Loomis might top them all, in a general sense and the NRX does top them all! Remember, all of this comes from a Sage and Winston guy! Very impressive rods and you all owe it to yourselves to toss the NRX!

·
card shark
2,315 Posts
G. Loomis has an established reputation for its quality distance casting rods, and the NRX is their current flagship model, matched with a high end price: the 8 wt rod goes for $760.00.

Given their propensity toward distance casting tapers, its appropriate that Steve Rajef is their pro / consultant. I do like the fact that, unlike many manufacturers, they have not ceased production (and service) of former top rod models that are quite popular and continue to make the 2 piece "GLX Classic" rod series as noted by troutpocket. Interesting is that they continue to produce additional 2 piece rods, their Crosscurrent Pro-1, designed to be used by guides that store their rods in their boat rod holders and never break them down. Fewer ferules, less likelihood of breakage and less impact on rod taper design.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While the new NRX rods do come in at a higher price, it really isn't much higher than a Z-Axis, the new BIIIX and some of the NRX's are cheaper than the TCR. They really are the best rods that I have ever thrown. As I stated in the OP, I knew how good Loomis "gear" rods were for Bass fishing, but I had no idea about the fly rods! I love 'em! Another thing I like, not everyone you walk up to on the stream will have a Loomis!

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I don't own any Shiloomis rods, though I did own some Loomis rods at one time. ;)

Yeah, they've made some decent single handers for awhile. I more liked thier gear rods for salmon and steelhead. But even then, I prefered a Lami Certified Pro over the Loomis. But hey, TFO has a gear rod out, love them.

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
Loomis quality is garbage these days. Take a long look at the wraps and guide placement 'cause it isn't the same from rod to rod. I own a bunch of Loomis rods but they all date back to the days when they were built here and Gary was the boss.

Too many good rods being built today and you don't have to spend $700+ for a 1 hander.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I took out the crappy quality, non-aligned, ugly as sin 9wt. NRX yesterday along with a Z-Axis and a TCX. I had the same line on each rod, the same leader and the same fly and I cast them side by side. For me, the much acclaimed Z-Axis was third on the list. The TCX cast similarly to the NRX and each rod handled short and long casts well. However, the TCX took a lot more work to actually cast, especially into the wind. The NRX is effortless when it comes to casting. You can feel the rod load and when you haul properly you can shoot line a mile.

After casting the three rods, I stuck with the NRX for the rest of the day. Eight straight hours of casting a 9wt. can get tiresome, however, not yesterday. The lightness of the rod and how easily it works for you made it a joy. I had the pleasure of landing 5 of 6 large Pike with the largest going over 20lbs. When fighting those fish the power of the NRX became very apparent as it really lets you lean on a fish when you need to. It really was a great day.

I will admit that the aesthetics of the rod are not on par with a Sage or Winston and I did not like them at first. However, after time it is starting to grow on me. Let's be realistic, looks don't cast or fish, therefore I would rather take the rod that casts and fishes better and for me it was the NRX. As I stated in the OP, I am a Sage and Winston guy, however, that is changing (helping that change is the number of Sage rods that I have seen break in the last two years. These rods are breaking during the cast and I have seen two at my local fly shop snap while someone was test casting them). The NRX just flat fishes and has plenty of power for wind, big flies and big, powerful fish!

·
Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin
406 Posts
At Loomis the fly rod's are built by thier cheif rod designer Steve Rajeff, a multi year world fly casting champion. His younger brother Tim Rajeff deisign's and owns the Echo fly rod company. Tim is also a multi year world fly casting champion. So I'll agree that Loomis knows something about building quality fly rods. Yes, the rods are expensive but remember these rods are built in America, paying American wages, buying American materials, so of course the cost of a Loomis rod would be more than buying an outsourced china made rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.