Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to pick up a good saltwater reel that will handle a 6 wt. I was wondering whether there are Galvan fans here. I am looking at the Galvan Spoke. Thanks for the feedback. I will be using it for sea-run cutts and coho. I looked at a couple different reels including the Lamson Litespeed and the new Orvis Mirage. The Lamson seems nice, but a little thin. I'm afraid I would drop it in my clumsiness. I tend to be a little hard on equipment.

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
I just recently purchased a Galvan Torque and love that thing to pieces! I did quite a bit of research and didn't hear anything negative. I would have no qualms about using the Spoke series for salt water.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
I have a Galvan Torque for my 8wt and the reel is an absolute beast. I also have a Lamson Velocity v2 for my 6wt and they are also amazing.

Can't really go wrong with any of those choices I suppse. I haven't seen the Mirage in person but I ran into Leland at the spey clinic on Sunday and it sounds like a hell of a reel.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, also question: Do the Galvans have the "free spool" feature so I can pick up line quickly by palming?

·
180 Posts
I have both Lamson's and Galvan's. Each excellent reels. I don't think that you can go wrong with either. At the suggestion of my nephew (a professional NA/SA FF Guide), I recently purchased a Nautilus FW 5+ to pair with my Orvis Helios (Salt) 6Wt. rod. (Strung with an Airflo 40+ line w/ gel-spun backing). The weight & durability of the Nautilus FW 5+ reel at 4.2 Oz. was the perfect "match" for the lightweight Helios rod. I am very pleased with the "balance" achieved. The casting performance is excellent. This reel/rod/line combination will be used primarily for SRC's/Coho in the Puget Sound. Give Nautilus a look along with the other fine reels you are considering.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
if your on a budget and can't afford the Torque's, the Rush series are also amazing. Same drag system, different design, equally beastly.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying to determine from the Galvan website whether the "guts" are the same on the Spoke compared to the Torque. It's a little unclear, but the Torque spec says"corrosion resistant and saltwater safe" and I don't see that written on the other models. I did email them with the question, however any insight on that factor is still appreciated.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
The Galvan Torque, Rush and Spoke Series Drag System

The drag system is easily changeable from left to right retrieve, the Torque and Rush reels also retain that smoothness of action and quiet click that Galvan has become known for, The incredibly smooth and powerful drag system further sets these reels apart, Composed of stainless steel, a self-lubricating Peek HPV bushing, and a drag surface made of a state-of-the-art, heat and wear resistant thermoplastic material unlike anything else on the reel market, Our new drag system will give flawless performance in any conditions on the planet.
Yep, the Rush, Torque, and Spoke all have the same drag system. Tough as hell. If you tighten it all the way, it literally locks the drag up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you guys ever had a problem with the drags on Rush (and possibly the Torque) after the reel gets submerged? I have three Litespeeds (one old model and two new ones) and the drag on those reels works fine after getting submerged. The drag on the Rush gets very soft when it gets submerged. I've just about stopped using the reel because of this problem, though I really like how stout it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been using my Torque 6wt extensively in saltwater for over 3 years and have had it fully submerged many times with no problems or charge in drag performance at all. They are a little pricy for sure, but worth the extra cost in my humble opinion. Good luck!

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Have you guys ever had a problem with the drags on Rush (and possibly the Torque) after the reel gets submerged? I have three Litespeeds (one old model and two new ones) and the drag on those reels works fine after getting submerged. The drag on the Rush gets very soft when it gets submerged. I've just about stopped using the reel because of this problem, though I really like how stout it is.
Never had a problem with the drag. I've had my 8wt submerged in salt water and fresh water and according to Galvan, they are fully sealed. You should contact Galvan and see if they can address this by repairing your reel.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
From Galvan

Maintenance and Cleaning
We recommend that you that you clean your reel every time after exposure to salt or alkali environments. To clean your reel, first loosen the drag all the way counterclockwise to the lowest setting and remove spool from frame. Soak both in fresh warm water. After soaking, rinse both spool & frame thoroughly making sure the drag area gets a little extra attention. Inspect the pawl area on the frame and the gear area on the spool for dirt, grit, or build up. If found rinse a little more aggressively. Let the spool and frame air dry before replacing the spool back onto the frame and storing.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called Galvan today. They told me the "guts" on the Spoke are a little bit smaller than the Torque series, but made the same. So, it's not your big game reel, although fine for salmon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.