Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ouch!! Here we go again. With prices likely to hit almost $4 at the next price increase I am trying to fish some local lakes that don't get a lot of attention and aren't glamor destinations. Last week I fished a nearby lake that was just alive with fish. I probably hooked 30-40 and of those landed somewhere in the neighborhood of 20. Biggest was probably about 15" but I did hook what was probably a big triploid. It was a grand day out and I was the only person on the lake. Also last week I visited a tiny little lake that is about 20 minutes away that I hadn't fished for several years. The first 4 fish I caught were all right at 16'', broad shouldered and deep fish with big bellies. They have obviously been eating very well. They were brightly colored rainbows that gave an excellent account of themselves. One stripped out a lot of line and did several impressive somersaults before coming to hand.

I have recently heard of a truly zipperlips lake that I have never seen mentioned in print and is a hike-in lake. It too is within about 20 miles and once I find someone to pack a tube in with me will be checking it out. There are a number of other productive lakes in the area that get short shrift from the flyfishers. Another local lake is so difficult to launch in that I just couldn't do it last year but has good populations of nice sized brookies.

So I'll exploit what I can reach and try to hold down the long drives to a minimum. There is something satisfying about leaving the house and being in a boat 30 minutes later playing a fish.

Screw the gas companies, I'm fishing local!

Ive

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
Me too, Ive! although I'm not much of a lake guy. Gas is not as high here yet but at $3.05 a gallon for middle grade it's enough to make me think twice about long drives. Haven't been to the Yak this year, every time I think about spending $70.00 - $85.00 just to catch a trout or two it just don't seem worth it to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the Yak and have caught some very good fish there, but it's almost June and then I can get back to my local rivers. I've thought about going down south Kalama, Lewis and such but just too far and besides I don't know them and I'd sure hate going that far to get skunked!
Waiting for June!

LB

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Living in paradise has high cost in gas. As for your zipperlip location, mabye I'll carry your gear in there for you?

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Damn Ive, you need to run a background check before you hand me an axe too? I offerd to carry all your gear and on top of that you want some indentured servitide?

·
Registered
10 Posts
this will feel better. we're $4.40 a gallon for lowest grade. and summer is still on the way. it's real nice living in a tourist destination, watching gas go up right before every long-weekend. lovely.
this time last year, i was driving up the alaska highway to go fish. that was a gas bill. fishing was great though. doing it again this year.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Maybe the price of gas will drop a little Gas on the market dropped to 75 bucks a barrel. From 85. Did you ever notice when the price drops it goes down slowly and when it goes up it jumps.

I just did a trip through Washington and the most I paid for a gallon was $3.16.9 in Cashmere and the lowest was $2.93.9 in Snohomish.. For me one way cost about $130.00.

If fishing is going to cost so much, take your lunch instead of buying it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.