Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on the forum cast or fish the new Winston BIIIX series yet? I don't think it is available for general sale yet but can be pre-ordered I believe. I was fishing last week in MT and dropped in on some friends. They had all been to the Winston factory recently, tried the Winston BIIIX and were slobbering like madmen over it. Just what I need - another rod I will cast, fall in love with, but have to knock over convenience stores to pay for.....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have heard excellent things, from everyone who has casted/fished them. The rods will be slightly stiffer than the previous bllx models, although there is still a deft touch to them. One of my better fishings buddies is the sub rep for Winston in the north rockies, and he has assured they have done well. Of course, he knows my favorite rod ever is the 790 bllx, due to its range from bwo's on 5x to 6 inch streamers on 17lb flouro. Two spools, a floater and a sinking line, and you have pretty much every single situation in Montana covered with one rod. So I wont truly believe it until I have fished one myself!

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
When I dropped into Creekside Angling (Issaquah) last week, a sales rep from Winston was there letting the staff cast their new rods. I wasn't there long enough to get the skinny however.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I was at Puget Sound Fly Co. a while back and the Winston rep was there with the new rods all strung up and ready to go.

Being somewhat of a casting junky the temptation was there and out to the back I ventured. Let me preface this with that I am not a big fan of Winston rods on the whole. They are nice rods but not what I like in a rod for the most part. However I was totally impressed with their new offering! But I think it is way over priced!! I have casted G Loomis's new line of rods in the same price range and thought they were a better rod. But then that is my prefferances. That rod too is way over priced!

If you really believe that dropping $600 to $700 on a trout rod is required for what ever reason, then go for it! Yes, it is smooth and nice and resposive but it is no better than my Scott V2 which cost 1/3 as much. In reality I would take my Scott V2 or A2 over the new Winston.

Dave

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wet Line,
Care to elaborate on the rod itself? Opinions on what rods you like or own are a whole 'nother can of worms. Although, I think basing opinions on rods in the parking lot is about like driving a Jeep around the parking lot...

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Hmmm...A good friend of mine who owns a fly shop in another part of the country says he and his partner cast it over the summer and again at the recent flyfishing retailer show and hated it. Others they talked with at the event said the same. They said it was too stiff and lacked feel.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Dan

The rod loads progressively and is a medium action rod with some backbone in the butt. For myself I thought the rod felt a lot better casting line a half weight over the stated rod weight.

A parking lot can tell a person quite abit about a rod. How it casts in close and further out. If it will make a soft presentation or more suited for big heavy flies. If it will punch a cast into the wind and how much line it can pickup off the surface. You can find out if it will cast open and tight loops. And maybe most important is the rod comfortable for you. You can test different line weights to find what you preffer. Depending on a persons experience one can learn a lot or very little from test driving a rod in a parking lot.

dave

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
8wt BIIIx

The Winston Rep was in attendance for our annual Speyfest. He had a few of the 3X rods on hand. I picked up the 8wt and gave it a short and long try. It's different no doubt. More of a total progressive bend. The tip is stouter than the IIx. The Rep told me that the Butt was lightend up a little compared to the IIx, I'm not familier enough with these rods to tell.

My opinion; with only the short trial to go by I liked the feel of it better than a IIx. Nice smooth bend.. minus the soft 'ish' tip of the IIx. Unsure what it was lined with, should have asked. It was quite windy but the casts felt good.. slip a bit into the backcast and haul ahead.. breezy 70' - 80'

Noticed a couple guys playing with the 5wt.. Some nice tight loops going out to medium range.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thank you for the additional info, sounds like a nice rod and I look forward to giving it a go.

The parking lot can mean different things for different rods. For instance, lets look at the now discontinued bllx. In the lot, the rods seems light and flimsy indicating that it cant handle wind, big flies, weight, or wind resistance. On the water though, I have found it to be able to handle anything a rod in its line weight should as far as heavy stuff. The roll castability is what really sets the rod apart, and that simply cant be replicated unless you are on the water. Even with leader knot/tag ends systems, its is tough to replicate. The light weight stuff on the 7 weight is handled about like a 4 weight, which I cant find another rod that has this spectrum.

After fitting hundreds of rods to anglers of all levels, from $100 offerings to $2500 bamboo, I know the experienced hand can tell just about as much by wiggling it in the shop as you can casting it in the parking lot. What lines will work, how it will handle resistance from wind, weight, and bulk... Problem is that 95% of the folks dont sit around shops 5 days a week fondling all the rods on the rack. The lot offers a quick mini casting lesson which is the best way to find out what kind of action best suits the angler, even if they think they are Mel Krieger.

I guess it really comes down to use of the rod. I do agree that you can get a feel for the rod, although like most, I dont think a "feel" for the rod doesnt warrant 700 dollars to be dropped. The 700 hundred bucks is more than the performance of the rod, if you want sheer performance then buy an echo. 700 bucks goes toward the little town and its people where its built, the idea each rod is relatively personal, no being outsourced, and a warranty system. Sure, I think the warranty is flawed greatly and that there should be multiple warranty options upon purchase of the rod that can lower the price accordingly. 700 bucks should get you an expeditor service much like loomis' along with a free of charge repair, and a modestly priced transferrable policy if wanted by the new owner. 500 bucks should get you the best rod out there made in the US, with a set fee repair charge around 100 bucks. I would say there should also be a program in the middle, a light fee for expeditor and repair around 30 bucks would be just. Almost all broken rods are from neglegence at some point, even it may not seem so and this would teach people to baby their rods so as to not break them.

I am sure a change in the warranty system will happen soon, nobody is happy with the way it is now for high end fly rods. While some companies are better about it than others, all of them have issues that result in the customer getting the shaft.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ummm, well when a rod is out on warranty for three months, repair department wont call the dealer back in a timely manner, and the rep has to be contacted to make progress. That would be "jacking" around the dealer, the rep, and the almighty customer.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Its not like this has happened once, if thats what you mean. Other than your odd communication mishap, all these companies are a pleasure to do business with. But everyone makes mistakes, and that goes to both sides of the situation. Why so curious construct?

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Just a thought, but I'd venture a guess that Sage's turn around could be a bit different for those of us in the northwest, versus those who are back east or someplace further away. The ability to walk in and drop a rod off in person goes a long way when I'm considering the purchase of a rod.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Theoretically speaking - The rods go into repair by the order they are received. But you may be right, the only people who know are those who work in the bowels of the repair dpt...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ummm, well when a rod is out on warranty for three months, repair department wont call the dealer back in a timely manner, and the rep has to be contacted to make progress. That would be "jacking" around the dealer, the rep, and the almighty customer.
Ummmm - I have never even had to leave a message at Sage's repair during biz hours, no less a 3 month wait, for the very few returns I have made.

No return call? No bigE - call them again - an hour later as you see fit. Who cares about dealers - the almighty customer can call themselves. I never deal with returns through the dealer and your post isn't incentive to start (perhaps the dealer is doing the jacking); I know where the post office is, thank you.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ummmm - I have never even had to leave a message at Sage's repair during biz hours, no less a 3 month wait, for the very few returns I have made.

No return call? No bigE - call them again - an hour later as you see fit. Who cares about dealers - the almighty customer can call themselves. I never deal with returns through the dealer and your post isn't incentive to start (perhaps the dealer is doing the jacking); I know where the post office is, thank you.
And how many Sage hundreds of Sage rods have you sent in personally? Who cares about the dealers? Sage does. The industry would be gone without the dealers, I dont know what your problem/issue is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.