Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I bought an almost new 18' clackacraft max. Aside from oars, anchor, life jackets etc... what should we have in the boat? We will mostly be fishing the Kenai River. We will have a water proof box with some emergency and survival gear in case we get stuck out and spend the night. That will include a horn, whistle, flares, small stove, pot, cups and a small tarp. What else should we have along?

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Some basic tools for river fixes, at least a multi-tool. I always keep a knife handy after some idiots got their "rafts" hung up on my anchor line. I pack a dry bag with nonperishable snacks like Cliff bars. As Ray said, some rope (that isn't your anchor line) long enough to line the boat around an obstacle. A spare oar and even a spare oar lock are a good idea. And hide some reserve beers in your various storage compartments.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I carry a boat retrieval kit, which includes things like some rope, a small hand saw, and carabiners. Fortunately, I've never needed to use it. I also carry a small first aid kit, which I have had to use several times.

I also have a couple extra boat drain plugs, a wrench and screw driver, along with some of the other things previously mentioned. Of course, don't forget your life preservers.

·
Outa here
1,155 Posts
I agree with everyone above: spares for everything you can't do without: oar, oarlock, drain plugs etc.; tools so you can fix stuff, a knife so you can cut stuff; a puncture kit; a flask filled with scotch in case you run out of gas; a baggie filled with dry toilet paper and some spare handwarmers; flashlights/headlights and spare batteries. And a couple of spare baggies to stash some stuff you want double dry.

Reactions: Andy D

·
oh yeah!
141 Posts
You may want to carry some duct tape, water filter or Steripen, water proof matches and fast-fire starters, if you are drifting the Kenai. Also depends on time of the year!

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
get an few NRS river knifes and have at least one easy to access and near the anchor line at all times. it should be for nothing other then cutting the anchor free in an emergency.

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts
get an few NRS river knifes and have at least one easy to access and near the anchor line at all times. it should be for nothing other then cutting the anchor free in an emergency.
Honest question (just bought a boat myself), assuming you don't tie knots in your line how is fumbling around with a knife and then sawing thru an anchor rope better than just releasing the line out?

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
if the lines under tension (emergency situation) the knife will cut through pretty easy. just because you dont tie a knot in a line doesnt mean it cant somehow get entangled. they are designed to cut things like throw ropes (another thing that should be in every driftboat used in whitewater), webbing, etc.

Its a super easy to carry tool that is great for mitigating some of the entrapment risk and is a common part of just about any swiftwater rescue equipment. They also have a blunted tip to reduce the risk of injuring yourself and others from stabbing during a hairy situation (note, the edges are still flesh slicers)

most of the time they are used when shit is hitting the fan, like the stern of the boat is about to go under because some accidental chain of events has occurred.

They cost 40 bucks, have a good quick release sheath, and can save your ass (or someone elses that you happen upon).

Also, if you have the skill to use it, it couldnt hurt to carry the items needed for a Z-drag (rescue grade pulleys, carabiners, rope, and webbing)

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts
if the lines under tension (emergency situation) the knife will cut through pretty easy. just because you dont tie a knot in a line doesnt mean it cant somehow get entangled. they are designed to cut things like throw ropes (another thing that should be in every driftboat used in whitewater), webbing, etc.

Its a super easy to carry tool that is great for mitigating some of the entrapment risk and is a common part of just about any swiftwater rescue equipment. They also have a blunted tip to reduce the risk of injuring yourself and others from stabbing during a hairy situation (note, the edges are still flesh slicers)

most of the time they are used when shit is hitting the fan, like the stern of the boat is about to go under because some accidental chain of events has occurred.

They cost 40 bucks, have a good quick release sheath, and can save your ass (or someone elses that you happen upon).

Also, if you have the skill to use it, it couldnt hurt to carry the items needed for a Z-drag (rescue grade pulleys, carabiners, rope, and webbing)
Makes sense, thanks. I do have a class 5 astral pfd and one of the blunt NRS knives you are talking about attached to it....was just curious the advantages of sawing it off vs just stomping my foot on the anchor release.

Thanks!

·
CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
1,540 Posts
Dry tp ! Would add ax/hatchet. Never know about limbs & branches. Headlamp ! A poncho you can roll up small. Propane heaters. So nice on cold days & you can have grill cheese sandwiches.

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Honest question (just bought a boat myself), assuming you don't tie knots in your line how is fumbling around with a knife and then sawing thru an anchor rope better than just releasing the line out?
Great lists. Only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is a throw bag rescue rope. I keep that easily accessible.
rope I use for rivers is approx 50 feet long. it can easily knot up to get caught on gear or boat items such as seats extra oar, fishing trod ect. cutting rope next to rowing station is much safer than allowing all the rope to fly about near my feet.

unfortunatly, we have had to cut the anchor twice due to anchoring in too swift of water.

I was not in the boat for the second episode, but my dad and uncle saved the selves by cutting rope in nick of time. transom was taking in water, yikes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.