Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spending spring break with the family and doing low budget local stuff. Well, with the exception of the new dishwasher install, replacing bathroom fixtures and some spring cleaning. Today the ladies were searching some geocaching points for "treasure" and since we were along one of my local beaches I was armed with the switch rod. About the time one of my girls exclaimed "I found it" I was saying "fish on". Two hours strolling the beach for a series of geocache points, one sea run cutthroat to hand. Missed another take and got some nice casting practice in on what was a pretty damn nice day.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Sounds like a great time Mumbles. Noce to hear that there are family's that still spend the simple times together.......willing with enjoyment.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I'm pretty sure geocaching is when you take your kids to a productive beach (preferably while the misses is busy elsewhere), tell the kids there is a special prize somewhere within 300 yards of the beach, give them an old cell phone while telling them it is a GPS unit, then setting them free to locate the amazing prize. Since helping the kids locate said prize would be robbing them of the pleasure of working through the situation themselves, the father has little choice but to cast to feeding cutthroat. Ideal geocaching time seems to coincide well with promising tides also.

Nick

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TD, check out geocaching.org I'm no expert but the kids dig it. I guess people hide stuff (so far most we've found have been in ammo cans) and put in the GPS coordinates. You visit the site, program those coordniates into your GPS (or put them on your good old standard map if your orienteering/navigational skills are that good) and you go find the stash. The girls call it a treasure hunt. I was able to cast the beach while they were looking for two cache points (then we left the beach and went into various wooded areas). I like to fish and hike. If they find something that includes time on the beach and hiking then we all win. Check it out.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure geocaching is when you take your kids to a productive beach (preferably while the misses is busy elsewhere), tell the kids there is a special prize somewhere within 300 yards of the beach, give them an old cell phone while telling them it is a GPS unit, then setting them free to locate the amazing prize. Since helping the kids locate said prize would be robbing them of the pleasure of working through the situation themselves, the father has little choice but to cast to feeding cutthroat. Ideal geocaching time seems to coincide well with promising tides also.

Nick
Oh, that is good! Brilliant in fact. I've got several old cell phones too. My girls are too smart to take an old cell phone though.:rofl:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I just spent three days at the National Convention of Computer Educators in Seattle. I picked up a book that has a lot about Geocaching. It's pretty cool for kids and some adults realy get into it, especially with the "switch GPS" in hand.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, right along with "Flash Mobs", the band Evanescence, and that new trendy website Myspace.

2003 is calling you Ed, it wants it's "what's hot" list back.
You know Josh, father of two young boys, I'm sure you are sleep deprived so I'll let your funny bullshit roll off my back. The girls love the search for hidden treasure. What the girls love the dad will support. Okay, maybe it is retro, but so is that outfit in your avatar man! If it gets me more time with them, possible beach fishing and hiking time then I'm all in. No idea what a flash mob is, never been to myspace, and the only Evan I know is a fisherman. I'm sure it was witty, but it totally passed over my head!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I enjoy Geocaching (I'm "John The Blacksmith" if you ever see my name on a cache). Many of the fishing spots I've gone to have Geocaches. A lot are "microcaches" that just have a log to sign, then you enter a message on the website, but some are traditional caches where you take something from the cache and leave something in return. If I find a cache near a good fishing spot, I usually leave one of the flies I tied.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Geocaching is great for those who like to get out and face a challenge. The rewards aren't of any true value, but the fulfillment of finding something that someone has placed is somewhere on this planet miles away from you is impressive. So if you like to hike, have a REAL GPS, you can have a lot of success with it. A GPS get's you within a 3 x 3 (9 sf) area to dig around to find the little box, tin, tupperware of whatever was left. Believe it or not, when I was up at Western we there was a club that did this shit pre-GPS. Using topos, natural markers, and a compass!

Mumbles, wouldn't it be nice if we could geocache some good fishing locations! Don't give away your best spot, but I'm sure there are a few that can be donated.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
You know Josh, father of two young boys, I'm sure you are sleep deprived so I'll let your funny bullshit roll off my back. The girls love the search for hidden treasure. What the girls love the dad will support. Okay, maybe it is retro, but so is that outfit in your avatar man! If it gets me more time with them, possible beach fishing and hiking time then I'm all in. No idea what a flash mob is, never been to myspace, and the only Evan I know is a fisherman. I'm sure it was witty, but it totally passed over my head!
Ah Ed, I was just giving you crap because geocaching was the "hot new game" like 5 years ago for my friends. Unsurprisingly at the same time that GPS units dropped pretty far in price.

While it never interested me, a ton of people I know were into it. And I am absolutely sure that kids would love it as well. It's a treasure hunt plain and simple with the added advantage of getting to play with an electronic toy and perhaps teaching the kids about maps and plotting a course. If you really want to have some fun with the girls, look into what a "travelbug" is and get one of those going. I bet they will like tracking the bug's progress across the country as it moves from cache to cache.

As for Flash Mobs and Evanescence, don't waste your time looking up either of them. Neither are worth the keystrokes. And Myspace is a turd of a website, so you aren't missing anything there.

And yes, I slept 3 hours last night and spent 5 hours holding a screaming infant. Hooray.

·
1,411 Posts
And yes, I slept 3 hours last night and spent 5 hours holding a screaming infant. Hooray.
Ahh yes. The screaming infants...good ole days..
Wait till they turn into a teenager Josh... :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Geacaching is great fun and an interesting challenge as well. A couple of years ago a friend introduced me to it but I couldn't afford a GPS or the fuel to drive around all over the place (and wanted to minimize my "carbon footprint as well !), so I never got into it. For me it would be even more fun with just a map & compass tho....but that's just me!

All kids...and most adults even, get a kick out "treasure hunting!"

Jc:thumb:

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah Ed, I was just giving you crap because geocaching was the "hot new game" like 5 years ago for my friends. Unsurprisingly at the same time that GPS units dropped pretty far in price.

While it never interested me, a ton of people I know were into it. And I am absolutely sure that kids would love it as well. It's a treasure hunt plain and simple with the added advantage of getting to play with an electronic toy and perhaps teaching the kids about maps and plotting a course. If you really want to have some fun with the girls, look into what a "travelbug" is and get one of those going. I bet they will like tracking the bug's progress across the country as it moves from cache to cache.

As for Flash Mobs and Evanescence, don't waste your time looking up either of them. Neither are worth the keystrokes. And Myspace is a turd of a website, so you aren't missing anything there.

In the few places we've explored we already have found two travelbugs and have charted each of their global travels. I know you were blowing me crap man. Glad you are getting some sleep. More should follow soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.