Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Christian, I’m from Germany and I will be on a holiday trip in the US starting May 10 in Las Vegas, then all the way up from San Diego, around the Olympic Penisula and we will fly back from Seattle on May 4. Even if this is not a fishing trip, I’m travelling with m y wife and my parents, I will bring my fly rods (class 5 & 8) and hope to get the chance for some days, or at least hours, of fishing.
I hoped that some people here can give me tips where to fish. We have a rough idea of our route (see below) but we are still flexible to adjust as necessary. What I’m looking for are, for example accommodations on our way, where I can go for one or two hours of fishing near the motel/lodge/… when we arrive in the afternoon, or locations with something around for my family to explore while I’m on the water or just anything that can help me get the most fishing out of the family trip.
I’m also planning to have a guided tour, but only once during the trip as a good guide demands good money and a four week oversea trip is already an expensive thing. So if someone is around at the same time and wants to share a guided trip just send me a PM or maybe one of you would join me for a few hours of fishing and show me his home water?
Besides I would be thankful for all kind of tips regarding a holiday trip and attractions in the region.
Our route: Las Vegas- Grand Canyon-Phoenix-San Diego-LA-San Francisco-Eureka-Lincoln City-Portland-Olympic NP-Seattle

Thanks and regards from Germany,

Christian

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
". . . starting May 10 in Las Vegas, then all the way up from San Diego, around the Olympic Penisula and we will fly back from Seattle on May 4."

Christian,

First you need to clarify just exactly when you arrive and depart and will be in our area. Your timing may coincide with the closed season on our rivers. You might want to check about a guided fishing trip in Lee's Ferry near the Grand Canyon.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

·
Registered
113 Posts
not a good time to fish in these parts? The bass will be awake by then and will provide some seriouse fun on streamers and poppers, and the stocked lakes will still be loaded with easy to catch hatchery trout. the more remote lakes with wild will also be hot for trout, actually in my opinion if you want to catch resident trout in the pacific northwest late april through may is THE time to do it

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
not a good time to fish in these parts? The bass will be awake by then and will provide some seriouse fun on streamers and poppers, and the stocked lakes will still be loaded with easy to catch hatchery trout. the more remote lakes with wild will also be hot for trout, actually in my opinion if you want to catch resident trout in the pacific northwest late april through may is THE time to do it
rivers are (mostly) all closed = not the best month. i didn't say it wasn't a good month. but it's certainly in my bottom 3 of the 12

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the answers. Regarding the dates: according to our current plan we should leave Portland on May 30 towards Willapa Bay and from their to Lake Quinault, Queets, Neah Bay, Port Angeles and we will arrive in Seattle on June 3.
Can you tell me where I can find more information about which rivers are closed? I was a bit suprised when I read that this time of the year is not really good. I thought salmon and steelhead may be running that time of the year, I read about it in an Oregon forum and thought it may be similar up in Washington, but trout and bass will also be fun an the chance to catch some would also be better, I asume.
One more question, do you need a boat to fish the lakes in your region, or would I also have a chance without?

Regards,

Christian

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
It might help you to go to the Washington dept of Fish and Wildlife website and look at the regulations and seasons for the rivers you are interested in fishing. There will indeed be some places open and some fishing available to you then out there. www.wdfw.wa.gov
Ie: see "Gamefish" season on the Sol Duc River. Plenty of walk in and wade fishing access there. That is also a time of year to fish for sea run coastal cutthroat trout in some areas of saltwater in Washington.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have now at least booked accomondations for the last days of our trip. We will stay in Forks (Brightwaterhouse B&B) from May 29 to June 1st and then move to Seattle where we will stay until we fly back on June 4.
If anyone is around during that time and is interested in sharing a guided trip or just would like to meet for a couple of hours fishing please send me a PM.
I would also appreciate if someone could give me a tip where to find general information about fly fishing for steelhead and coho (books, websites,etc.), as I have no experience with this kind of fly fishing.

Regards,

Christian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.