Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just posted a complete Canon 5D Mark II camera system (L glass, flash and much more) in the classified section. No more lugging around big cameras. It's priced to sell quickly. I am going to get a small, high quality camera that meets most of my needs and is easy to pack. I'm at the front end of the research right now for such a camera. Suggestions would be appreciated. The researching prior to purchase is half the fun. I'm looking forward to it. My needs in a smaller camera? Good image quality, fast lens, good low light capability, good focusing system, zoom lens. Don't need video or flash so neither is a must have. Wish I could keep the gear I'm selling AND purchase a new camera but finances won't allow it...assuming I want to remain married.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can live without the zoon lens, check out the Ricoh GR2. Recently purchased one and couldn't be happier with the camera. Superb image quality, ease of use, and retains the functionality and adjustability of a DSLR camera system.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I just posted a complete Canon 5D Mark II camera system (L glass, flash and much more) in the classified section. No more lugging around big cameras. It's priced to sell quickly. I am going to get a small, high quality camera that meets most of my needs and is easy to pack. I'm at the front end of the research right now for such a camera. Suggestions would be appreciated. The researching prior to purchase is half the fun. I'm looking forward to it. My needs in a smaller camera? Good image quality, fast lens, good low light capability, good focusing system, zoom lens. Don't need video or flash so neither is a must have. Wish I could keep the gear I'm selling AND purchase a new camera but finances won't allow it...assuming I want to remain married.
Did you get something ?
Review?
Jay

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Have been using my small waterproof point and shoot camera and to have not yet decided on something larger.
I have decided on the Olympus OMD EM-5 Mark II.
5 axis image stabilization, large viewfinder, water sealed and weather sealed lenses available, and excellent image quality for camera and many of the lenses, esp the pro lenses.

The micro four thirds format will give a little lighter outfit esp the lenses, than APS-C or full frame cameras, while giving nearly as good low light image quality as APS-C

However, rumor has it there will be a new EM-10 Mark III out this month, so may wait to see what that is.

jay

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5 axis image stabilization, large viewfinder, water sealed and weather sealed lenses available, and excellent image quality for camera and many of the lenses, esp the pro lenses.

The micro four thirds format will give a little lighter outfit esp the lenses, than APS-C or full frame cameras, while giving nearly as good low light image quality as APS-C

However, rumor has it there will be a new EM-10 Mark III out this month, so may wait to see what that is.

jay
Sounds really good. I am checking it out. Thank you.

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts

jay
Congrats! I have the same, you will love it. The 12-40mm pro is a must-have. The IS is insane. I have handheld 1/4-second shots to get water flow to blur.

Was really tired of lugging around my Nikon D7000 while fishing. It's a great camera and I have a bunch of lenses for it, but its not convenient for fishing, hiking, etc. OTOH the Oly and 2 lenses fit nicely in my Fishpond Delta Sling. Did a 12 mile backcountry day-hike/fish with it a couple weeks ago. Also great for hiking and biking with the family. Photos in my Moab thread were taken with the Oly.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Congrats! I have the same, you will love it. The 12-40mm pro is a must-have. The IS is insane. I have handheld 1/4-second shots to get water flow to blur.

Was really tired of lugging around my Nikon D7000 while fishing. It's a great camera and I have a bunch of lenses for it, but its not convenient for fishing, hiking, etc. OTOH the Oly and 2 lenses fit nicely in my Fishpond Delta Sling. Did a 12 mile backcountry day-hike/fish with it a couple weeks ago. Also great for hiking and biking with the family. Photos in my Moab thread were taken with the Oly.
curious about your lenses.
12-40 pro is on my list, although its heavy. 12-50 non pro is not given good marks for image quality. I was thinking about the 9-18 zoom as a lighter walking around lens, particularly during open sun during the day. I do mainly landscape at wider angles anyway. The 12-40 pro would be for lower light at camp morning and evening. Does this make sense?

jay

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
curious about your lenses.
12-40 pro is on my list, although its heavy. 12-50 non pro is not given good marks for image quality. I was thinking about the 9-18 zoom as a lighter walking around lens, particularly during open sun during the day. I do mainly landscape at wider angles anyway. The 12-40 pro would be for lower light at camp morning and evening. Does this make sense?

jay
Yes, the 12-40 pro is very well built i.e. heavy. I didn't mention on my last outing I left it in the truck and carried my 9-18mm and 60mm macro instead. Both are great lenses and are much lighter. At f/2.8 the 60mm is also a nice portrait lens. With all of my zoom lenses I tend to shoot at either end of the range, not much in between. Leaving my longer lenses behind means I may miss out on good wildlife shots on the stream, but you can't carry everything. I have tried, but my back can't take it anymore...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.