Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got at least one tied that is starting to look like I can learn this. Been tying about 2 months now and still haven't figured it out. Reading, watching video, and went to a class.. anyway... here is the first one I felt like I could post... I know everyone keeps saying a little is a lot, or a little is better, but it didn't sink in until this one. I just cut back on everything and its the closest yet to a reasonable fly. I used some non-standard material, I found my wife's yarn drawer and it was a gold mine. Lots of Dazzle yarn in all the right colors, plus some really nice embroidery thread. It's DMC Satin, 100% rayon, and really shines. The other is DMC Antique Effects thread, very metallic looking. Anyway, I was having fun until she told me that if I din't get out it would be the only drawers I got into, enough said. The second pic is my best effort so far. Its patterned after a fly I used on the Deschutes to catch my first steelhead, original designed by Amy Hazel. tail red duck feather, abdomen flo green DMC satin, body purple DMC anitque, rib, DMC antique silver, collar purple saddle, wing white calf with flashabou.

The first pic is a fly designed by my grand daughter, she likes pink. I was getting instructions as I went, so didn't do as well, will try t perfect the next one. Tail is pink maribou fibers, abdomen is DMC anitque pink with peacock herl to separate, body is pink yarn from the drawer, collar purple saddle, wing white calf with some pink flash..

Anyway all pointers appreciated...

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Okay you're geting there but watch out what the granddaughter will want. Get your tying down then teach her right. My GD messed up flies I'd worked hard to get done. Of course it's okay she's my grandaughter. Aren't they great fun!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have always reccomended Randal Kaufmann's two books Tying Dry Flies, and Tying Nymphs. If you relate them to cooking, each fly has a recipe, and they start out very basic. As you learn the techniques unique to each pattern, you move on to a more complicated pattern. These books are geared toward trout flies that are producers here in the West, but excellent tutorials. The Overlake fly fishing club hosts a round table once a month, or tie with friends, the unique "what works for me" exchanges are great. I learn new tricks from everyone I have ever tied with...and I do not buy flies anymore, perhaps in Y Stone to copy in the evenings back at the vice over a cold beer, but I enjoy the satisfaction of catching all my trout on stuff that came from my vice. I will tell you that dry fly proportion is so much harder to master, especially the balance of the fly for a good float. The "vitruvian" approach to the hook you tie on is critical, as well as having a lighter hand with your materials as you become a better tyer.

·
Just waiting on warmer weather, .......
181 Posts
I agree with Earlsmith, as well as Bob Jones, and I just might have something that can help. I was trying to compare techniques of similar flies that I was tying when I found an app that was everything I believe I needed to tie up some decent looking flies. Of course, there are many books for sale, (some of which I have), but there are also videos (and some of them are FREE!), that will help to teach you exactly how & why they are tied in certain manners.

http://learnflytying.co.uk/

(This is a freebie! And he has several kinds that he shows as he is tying them himself. I thought it was well worth checking out, but decide for yourself.

Hope this serves as a good persuasion to keep tying.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
It appears that you are getting the basics down. Remember to pay attention to proportion and leave room at the front for a nice, small head. I have always had trouble with the head of flies not looking sleek. It's something I'm am constantly looking at. Don't be afraid to cut off the material and start over if you aren't satisfied with the appearance of the fly and don't worry about wasting materials. Also, less is better; something I have found out over the years of futility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.