Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, was wondering if any of you own a GL3? IF so, does the main handle rod half(where u connect) tip suppose to be hollow?
I have a GLX and L.Ultra and they have a somewhat solid tip; the hole has a solid graphite rod in the middle and surrounded by the thin layer of graphite. The GL3 is hollow and does not have a solid rod in the middle? Is this normal? If this is normal, doesn't this hollowness make the rod weak under extreme conditions?
Cannot call loomis since they are closed on the weekends. Thanks guys!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
385 Posts
All of todays modern graphite blanks are hollow, what you're seing in your GLX and L.U. are nothing more than plugs. Differant Mfg.'s use differant techniques at the ferrules, internal, external, exploded, streamline, each company has their own term. The only rods you will find that have a solid, or ridgid plug anymore are going to be the constant taper style rods, with exposed internal ferrule, like Scott and Winston use. The integrity of your blank is not compromised in the least, infact it could be adversely affected with a ridgid plug depending on which mandrel the blank came off of. The sole purpose of these plugs is to keep debris from entering the internal cavity of the blank. You can just put some black silicone, or a small amount of Rod Bond in the hole, and you will be set to go.
:smokin

·
Registered
385 Posts
sorry for your confusion guy's, this is a fishing site and the alias is related. I've been called mtlhead for years, it's a nickname given to me by old friends becuase I was always on the river chasing Steelhead. No long hair, no headbanging, even the sex and drugs and rock'n'roll have escaped me for over 10 yrs. now, well the sex has only been missing for about 6 months or so.
:smokin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.