Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to use glass beads for some of my Chironomids. I was wondering what others use and what sizes they use. I have been tying some up with 8/0 and 11/0. DIfferent colors.

Adam

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I've been using glass beads for everything from chronomids to salt bait fish patterns they are fun to tie with and work well too. Depending on the fly I've used 4/0, 6/0, 8/0, 10/0, 11/0, and 15/0, in many colors and finnishes. They do break up if you keep pounding them on the rocks with your backcast. Depending on how you tied them you can replace the beads easily. There are so many colors and patterns to use. The challenge is endless , try Joe Warrens book for ideas. 'Tying Glass Bead Flies', pub by Amato Books.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
A Ben Franklin store is a great source for glass beads as is a speciality bead store if you're lucky enough to live near one. There's a bead shop in Old Bellevue that sells literally thousands of different sizes and colors of glass beads for $1.25 for a 1/2" x 3" tube - nearly a lifetime supply. I like small translucent milky white or greenish ones with a pearly finish for tying chironomids and larger transparent red ones with a silver inside for Olive Willy's and leech patterns.

K

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, I think I might go back and get some in the 12/0 and 13/0 for small Chronies. Was wondering if some of you can post some pics of your glass beads so I can get an idea of what they look like on the net.

Thanks

Adam

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Shipwreck Beads in Lacey out by Cabelas is a great resource. They have strings of "seed beads" that are transparent colored glass with shiny metaled centers that are great for chironomids, plus a wealth of metal and opaque choices that I use widely. Huge selection and low prices, plus they stock Zap a Gap.

Try putting a red 11/0 seed bead on the nose of a Cary Special.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.