Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
It might be TERRIFYING!! But remember that it is written by McKibben and published on Bill Moyers website!!!

It is interesting reading, but I will wait until Exxon-Mobil writes a article since they are the largest Natural Gas producer in the United States.

What I find interesting is the alternative energy boom in California is in reality a natural gas boom. For every unit of solar or wind coming on line in California there are FOUR units of natural gas electricity plants coming on line. It is so "bad" that Forbes had an article that electric generation in California will basically set the price for natural gas in this country. That is how much natural gas they will be consuming as they "supplement" their wind and solar output.

For wind and solar to work,as California has found out, you need to build LOTS and LOTS of natural gas generating stations.

I believe, you never solve problems you just make them smaller. This might be case of solving a "problem" and making it much bigger!!

Fossil fuels are what allows most humans to have a decent lifestyle. There really isn't any substitute at this point.

But I need to find my own soapbox. It is a lot more fun to preach hail and brimstone than to find solutions that actually work.

Oh...I do have a problem with Bill Moyers. I still haven't forgiven him for being LBJ's Press Secretary and knowlingly lying to the American people about the Vietnam War.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be TERRIFYING!! But remember that it is written by McKibben and published on Bill Moyers website!!!

It is interesting reading, but I will wait until Exxon-Mobil writes a article since they are the largest Natural Gas producer in the United States.

What I find interesting is the alternative energy boom in California is in reality a natural gas boom. For every unit of solar or wind coming on line in California there are FOUR units of natural gas electricity plants coming on line. It is so "bad" that Forbes had an article that electric generation in California will basically set the price for natural gas in this country. That is how much natural gas they will be consuming as they "supplement" their wind and solar output.

For wind and solar to work,as California has found out, you need to build LOTS and LOTS of natural gas generating stations.

I believe, you never solve problems you just make them smaller. This might be case of solving a "problem" and making it much bigger!!

Fossil fuels are what allows most humans to have a decent lifestyle. There really isn't any substitute at this point.

But I need to find my own soapbox. It is a lot more fun to preach hail and brimstone than to find solutions that actually work.

Oh...I do have a problem with Bill Moyers. I still haven't forgiven him for being LBJ's Press Secretary and knowlingly lying to the American people about the Vietnam War.[/QUOTE

Well, it doesn't sound like fracking is a good way to proceed regardless of Bill Moyers. It all pears as fairly new information that is not good, particularly sealing off these methane leaks. You know what Exon is going to say!! Ah...no problem. Sounds like this problem has been fairly well documented.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Sealing off methane leaks? Yeah, that big one in SoCal that went unplugged for so long was just a glaring example. Are we going to have to equip all bovines with methane burning butt-plugs?
How about the tundra thawing? A majority of us humans won't make the necessary changes to our lifestyles, even if we believe that human-caused global warming and methane buildup in the atmosphere is a problem. "Human nature" prevails. We're doomed. :confused: Party like there's no tomorrow!:rolleyes:

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Thanks for the link, Larry.
I finished the purging of any investments in oil and nat'l gas pipeline MLPs (or anything having to do with fossil fuels) from my retirement account back in early 2015, having gotten rid of most of that in late 2014. I manage my own account, and pick individual stocks. I'm mainly in some REITs and BDCs to generate retirement income to supplement my piss-poor SS. I just finished doing a bunch of research in solar stocks. I think I'm onto something, but my info may be questionable, or the market may prove me wrong. I have my opinions. I'm quick to admit my errors, and am not shy to make a trade. I have learned to avoid giving out any advice, since my own opinion can suddenly do a 180 on a dime, due to new info or price/vol action. There are no tax implications for me if I trade, since my meager retirement account is setup in a ROTH IRA.
Right now the markets are extremely dangerous. They're at a tipping point one way or another, and my guess is down, siding with the "technicians."

Safe advice would be, "go to cash and take a fishing vacation."

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
My issue is I have a solar off-grid house so I know how little electricity and how unreliable is wind and solar.

I have at my off-grid house the following items that ALL run off propane: generator, hot water heater, fridge, furnace to heat the house, stove and oven, and barbecue grill. Don't forget my wood stove that kicks out those pm10 and pm2.5 particles.

I can sniff, with the best of them when I tell people how GREEN I am and their NOT.

But check out the list of stuff that runs on fossil fuels at my SOLAR house because solar can't do the job. Am I really GREEN or just an obnoxious and self-righteous. Do I really have a house that runs on solar?....really, isn't it a PROPANE house??

We cannot run a modern society without fossil fuels!!

The choices are really only two....reduce the standard of living by 90% (this will also reduced the population) or start reducing the population level (not growth) to reduce our impacts. There is NO discussion about doing any of those two items.

And when it comes to crunch time nobody is going to give up their fossil fuels.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Vlad, Your comments have the facts of actual experience behind them. Myself, I am relying soley on the PUD. I now have forced air electric heat, but plan to switch to a ductless heat-pump, since my system seems expensive to operate, and is kind of inefficient.
I have a large open fireplace in my shop. Its a real wood eater, so I don't light it up very often. Good when working on Winter time projects out there, but I haven't been doing those this year. My wood pile hasn't changed a bit since early 2014. I don't use a paper shredder for old documents. I just burn 'em.
I have propane camping stuff that I also use here when the power goes out for a spell.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
"Reducing the population level" is a worthy goal that will have to be taken care of by a pandemic, since few, if any, politicians in an economic system like ours that depends on exponential growth, would risk seriously suggesting how to actually achieve this. It will follow that most of us will have our living standards reduced.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Terrifying? Really? Look up the amount of methane and carbon dioxide released annually by volcanic activity. You won't be able to get out of bed.
Well, let's add some more. Did you read the entire article? The amount the US has added to the atmosphere....big time.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
so do my two dead usmc cousins who died fighting in LBJ's useless war

Oh...I do have a problem with Bill Moyers. I still haven't forgiven him for being LBJ's Press Secretary and knowlingly lying to the American people about the Vietnam War.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I've often wondered if the real reason behind this AGW thermophobe belief system is based on population reduction at its core? No link here, just a few facts.

Atmospheric Constituents: Some are variable up to saturation.
1) Nitrogen 78%
2) Oxygen 21%
3) Water 0 to 4%
4) Argon 1%
5) CO2 .04%
6) Neon .002%
7) Helium .0005%
8) Methane .00017%
9) Hydrogen .00005%
10) Nitrous Oxide .00003%
11) Ozone .000004%

From article, "Between 2002 and 2014, the data showed that US methane emissions increased by more than 30 percent, accounting for 30 to 60 percent of an enormous spike in methane in the entire planet's atmosphere."

A 30% increase in atmospheric methane is not even a tiny hitch, it equates to increase of .000003% in the earth's atmosphere. Choose to be terrified if you like, I'm not worried about the methane. I'm worried world governments are embracing this thermophobe religion. That scares me a bunch!

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
I no longer worry about Global Warming since President-Elect, Trump exposed it as a hoax initiated by the Chinese to shackle Corporate America.

Reactions: dfl

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I probably won't be alive in 25 years, so I'm not worried about it. My nephew (age 26) can worry about it if he likes.
I don't believe in reincarnation, heaven or hell. This is it. Best I can think of is having my ashes added to some compost that is in turn added to a vegetable garden, tree hole, or, if I'm lucky, spread over my local estuary. I read somewhere that many crematoriums cremate several bodies at the same time, and"your"ashes aren't even really just "your" ashes, but a mix with the ashes of total strangers. Not that I'll even know or care, since I'm already gone by then. Call me a "nihilist"or whatever.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I just finished doing a bunch of research in solar stocks. I think I'm onto something, but my info may be questionable, or the market may prove me wrong.
By all means do plenty of research, and then some when it comes to investing in solar. Semiconductor technology is in a constant state of flux as it is, and much more so when it comes to photovoltaics. I've seen people lured away to better paying jobs at solar cell companies only to find themselves unemployed a few months later. It will be very interesting to see how the technology sorts out in the end - if ever. Definitely not a tech I'd bet my retirement on, but might be worth gambling a few bucks on a promising startup.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
By all means do plenty of research, and then some when it comes to investing in solar. Semiconductor technology is in a constant state of flux as it is, and much more so when it comes to photovoltaics. I've seen people lured away to better paying jobs at solar cell companies only to find themselves unemployed a few months later. It will be very interesting to see how the technology sorts out in the end - if ever. Definitely not a tech I'd bet my retirement on, but might be worth gambling a few bucks on a promising startup.
Yes, I only bet a relatively small amount on these highly speculative issues. I reserve about 10% of my account to gamble on "growth" stocks. All "growth" stocks are speculative, and depend on the "Greater Fool Theory." You hope someone who is a bigger fool than yourself (for buying the shares in the first place) gambles and buys shares at higher prices than you paid, and other greater fools continue to bid them higher, and you can sell into the buying and exit the trade with some profit! Good luck with that! Becoming adept at technical analysis is prerequisite for doing one's own trading. That's in addition to analyzing a stock's "fundamentals" and taking into consideration its industry and what the market is doing. Is it a Bull or Bear? Most folks are better off hiring a good CFA and following their advice.

I like "income" stocks. (Sold most of the "growth" and sitting on the cash ("dry powder").
These are dangerous times!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.