Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do i know, im just a stupid kid

what kind of gloves do you guys generally use? this last weekend i wore wool fingerless gloves. i was satisfied with the warmth but my flies kept snagging them. it seemed everytime my flies even got close they snagged up and got tangled. even though the hooks were barbless i had trouble sliding them back out with numb fingertips. i am curious to see what you guys use.

~sean~

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
REI, finglerless, windstopper fleece, they are warmer than my wool ones, but bulkier and I often take them off to land fish and change flies, tie knots. If it isn't real snotty out I prefer my wool ones.

By the way Old Man and you need to stop telling everyone you're stupid. I don't believe it for a minute...

:thumb

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Weight lifting/ bike riding gloves with fleece ones over the top when its really cold. The weight gloves stay on while releasing fish and changing flies. The fleece come off since I wear ones that include fingers.

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I use a pair of Kenai Fingerless fleece. They have a rubber palm in them. Very Warm, and very comfortable. I have never had any trouble with them at all. infact, I have forgotten they were even on until half way down the peninsula. For a little added warmth on those REAL cold days, I put a thin pair of Polypro liners under mine. Works great and they arent very expensive. They have a couple different kinds in the cabelas fly fishing catalog. Just my $0.02

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I don't even like to wear gloves. The last time I wore them they got in the way and I took a tumble in the Sauk. Don't ask.

Whats with this stupid remark. I'm not stupid just ignorant. And I can't help that I'm this way. Too many years at Boeing will do that to you and the way you are going you are going to be the same. Ha Ha:p :p }( }( }(

Jim

·
Registered
407 Posts
Gotta have my surgical gloves when it gets cold. Tie flies on, let fish go, makes a huge diff. If it gets so cold that they are not enough, it is too cold for me to be fishing. Call me a weanie. If you try these gloves, they can be bought by the hundred for under ten bucks, get them big enough they are almost loose. If they are tight on your hand, they will restrict bloodflow, and will make the situation worse. I wear them down to a breezy 25deg or so and love em!

·
Registered
285 Posts
A client handed me a pair of simms windstopper fingerless fleece gloves on a cold morning after he had noticed my ragwools were saturated. That was two years ago and now I swear by them, they keep me warm, I dont find them to be bulky(probably because they are a size smaller than what I normally would have bought) and they dry pretty quick. They retail for right around $40, but you won't be disapointed.
tight lines

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I second these Simms gloves. I got a pair for Christmas and have fished in every condition possible with them and I swear by them....I mean these things are the best piece of clothing I have. I have worn them when it was 13 degrees out, not counting the wind chill, and they were totally warm!!!! They have been soaking wet and still warm. You can also tie flies with no problem.

Word to the wise: dont try to dry them out by the fire at night cause they get little amber burns in them easily....but still stay totally warm ;) ;)

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, lots of people use the windstopper fleece. I have always liked those, but thought they would snag too much. I wear thin neoprene gloves that are fingerless for your thumb and fore finger and middle finger. they work great and never snag (you could probably find them in the kayak section of the store). However they tend to prune your other two finger - okay price to pay for staying warm after dunking them in the water all day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.