Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm supprised Old Man hasn't chimned in here yet. Check you regs. Salmon are considered food fish and night closure is usually in effect. Steelhead can be a different story. That being said, I think the upper Columbia is under a daylight fishery only.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm supprised Old Man hasn't chimned in here yet. Check you regs. Salmon are considered food fish and night closure is usually in effect. Steelhead can be a different story. That being said, I think the upper Columbia is under a daylight fishery only.
I think he is asking about saltwater and I think there are only a couple of places where there are night closures, but yes, check your regs.

·
LA RAMS are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
5,345 Posts
It's almost winter now, so think about tying up some glow in the dark squid patterns for resident silvers and bigger blackmouth.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
I dress almost every salt pattern with Saltwater Krystal Flash, and have for years. Although it doesn't say so on the package, ALL the Saltwater variety is GITD. Lately, I've added a few fibers of the UV to the mix. I firmly believe the added spectrum visibility helps in all light conditions, and I will guarantee it doesn't scare fish off! Every northwest diver will tell you how much bio luminescence there is in our water, so it stands to reason most of our species key in on it.

I don't bother to "flash" the flies anymore, and still get lots of strikes in low light.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear ya Don. That "purple haze" hootchie changed things. I do alot of downrigger fishing and UV is where its at for artificials. "CAPTAIN DOWNRIGGINS" spoons with glow and UV combination are deadly.

Enough of that crazy talk, where I'm getting at is I put UV krystal flash on my flies. Cant hurt. Glow and UV combonation is what I'm gonna tie up.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
During winter I've fished the narrows at night over the past several yeas. Caught some nice blackmouth and rezzies. A buddy of mine picked up a chrome chum one night in late December, I think it was a Nisqually fish. I usually tie up clousers and tube flies out of glow in the dark flashabou. Flies do not have to be anything fancy, that's for sure.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Thanks for the thought I'm going to have to try some of those. I'm sure I have a few things that will work for a start around here. I would think they would work for beach flies at least. Bob

·
Bobbers n Beadz
936 Posts
I did it last year with GITD miyawaki poppers. Coated the head with GITD green nail polish and used a lot of GITD flashabou and some super hair...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.