Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Cabo San Lucas this weekend. Anyone want to share a guide for a day or two? Email me or call me before Friday at 206-979-0693. I will be staying at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach if you get this after Friday. Also, anyone have any info on beach fishing in this area? I am also looking for guide who won't rip me off for four hours in a panga and who speaks English. Baja Angler's is a scammer, wanted an extra $100 to join me on his boat. Any other suggestions?

Check out the dorado I caught last time I was there.... and this one was the baby. The big daddy snapped my eight weight in two places... poor decision on my part to put a J hook into the rod as I pulled it into the net. 40 lb bull dorado and took my SA #2 into backing with the drag set at maxiumum. This time I am bringing down a 12 weight.Tight lines.[email protected]

· Capt Kirk
762 Posts
I was down there three weeks ago. There is a great jetty/ rock pile on the far right side of the sunset beach property, next to the "owners" house. It is full of all kinds of fun fish like jacks and anglefish. Watch out for the surf there, it can suck you in! cast out into the pool and strip back in-good times! Let me know how it was when you return.
BTW-I would bring a really heavy sink tip of full sink line to get down in there fast.

· Registered
4,193 Posts
I took a day's drive up to Todos Los Santos, and on the way back, pulled onto a well-used but not fit for a VW Golf dirt road and headed towards the beach. I'd suggest getting out of Cabo and heading to the North, and the Pacific side. Just my pesos worth of advice.

· Registered
6,729 Posts
How the fuck do you consider that a scam? Grant operates 3 boats, each of which has a captain and mate that he has personally selected and trained. Some people want to have Grant on board as well because they enjoy his insight, and he's in high demand, so he charges a nominal fee to go out and not work his other job. Otherwise he could be spending his time in his other business that actually pays his bills. If your time isn't worth $100/day, that's your problem, but he's got a family to support.
Harsh reply, but Alpinetrout's on the money . . . :)

It's been some years since I was in Grant's shop; I counted over twenty (!!) world record certificates on his wall. I'm sure many more by now.

Grant's a stud. He is in NO WAY a scammer. This is absolutely the first time I've heard someone say something disparaging about him, and it figures it's someone who doesn't know him. Hey, I'm sure your time is valuable. He's in the business to make money and support his family. Usually his captains and boat mates speak rudimentary English, and Grant isn't needed and doesn't go along. He runs the shop and coordinates the boats (plural).

You can go out in a panga and typically do fine. Grant's boats and guys know light gear and fly fishing, and are the best down there. But, it comes at a cost. Also, if you're getting four hours out of a panga, you ARE getting ripped off. A typical panga day would be, say, leave the dock by 7 am, back at the dock 1 pm.

Why did you take your 8 weight down there with you? Man, that's taking a knife to a gun fight . . . rod manufacturers are silly to offer those no-fault knucklehead warranties, but that's a topic for a different day and different discussion.

· Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
2,274 Posts
In December I went out with Baja Anglers................I wasn't looking for a bunch of small turd fish. I was looking for marlin. The fish were not showing well that day(pretty rough) , but they got us into two marlin and some dorado. I'd say they did a damn fine job. They also educated me very well as the proper leaders and the why of color specific flies. They gave me a very good understanding of the teasing and it was done before a fish was hooked. Hell, they even understood my jokes in english. Grant's boats are top notch, really fast( you won't see pangas or be competing with them) and about twice the size of a panga. Proper boat, proper gear and properly trained crew. Thanks Baja Anglers

Grayone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.