Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IveofIone I am planning a trip to Glacier right after Labor Day and will be going in on rt.#2 by way of Libby and Kalispell. I will be towing a modest 5th wheel trailer and would like to park on the west side and then do day trips around the park. I will be prepared to fish either lakes or streams and would like to hear what kind of experiences you have had in northwestern Montana. I assume there are RV parks with hookups in the area, any favorites? Favorite streams, lakes? I'll be fishing the Kootenai the first day out but after that everything will be all new as I haven't been east of the Libby area in that part of the state.Thanks for any suggestions, Ive

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll second the North Fork of the Flathead.
At Colombia Falls, head north across the tracks and follow 486 to Blankenship road... take a left and it will follow the N. Fork all the way to Canada I think... Lots of wonderful, beautiful spots to camp/fish from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently moved from West Glacier to Spokane. I am familiar with miles of water in the area. Some of the best fishing on the west side of the divide in the area is up the South Fork River, above the Hungry Horse Dam, near Spotted Bear (you can find Spotted Bear Ranch on DeLorme's topo maps). Spotted bear is about 40 minutes up the east side road of the dam, turn at Martin City. The cuts can be 8+ pounds. A good day of catch and release is 35+ fish (most in the 15" range). The drive up the road is very scenic also. I would suggest shooting the bull with the guides at the Spotted Bear Flyshop at the ranch, and let them give you the hotspots.
The North Fork of the Flathead can also be productive. The fish, on average are not as large as they are above the reservoir, but the fishing can be great. I would suggest trying The Great Northern Flats area (again you can find the area on any DeLorme's topo map)up the North Fork road. It can be very productive. Also, near the Polebridge entrance into Glacier Park, there is some very good fishing. Before you cross the bridge into the park at Polebridge, you will see a parking area to your left. It is 20 yds. from the river. Right in front of the parking area is a very productive run. Two braided channels form a great seam. At times you can catch 10 in a row in this seam. Kaufmann stimulators (size 12 to 14) are a great all-purpose for the Flathead River system, and work very well around the Polebridge section. The scenery around Polebridge is awesome. You will have a clear view of the Livingston and Lewis Ranges.
The Middle Fork, east of West Glacier, can also be productive. I would try the Mocassin Creek access. On your topo map just follow Hwy 2 East for about 6 miles east of West Glacier, and you will find it.
A good selection of flies for the Flathead would include stimulators, humpies, Royal Wulffs, stonefly nymphs, wooly buggers, some streamers (double bunnies, bighorn specials), chernobyl ants, adams, bead head hare's ears, good midge selection, peacock caddis.

Now, if you really want to catch some giant fish, probably the best stillwater fishery in North America is on the Blackfoot Reservation on the east side of the park. The fish average 20+ inches in most of the reservation lakes, and you will get several shots at fish in the 30 inch range. The reservation does not require a Montana License, but you will have to buy a reservation license. Believe me, the license is worth the $35. I would pick one up on the west side of the park in West Glacier. Glacier Raft Co. and Flyshop just outside of town sells reservation licenses. They are also very knowledgeable about reservation fishing. Ask them what lakes are hot, they can help. However, a good bet for big fish (I'm talking 30+ inches) are Goose and Duck Lakes. Four Horns can also be productive, as well as Kipp. You will need a float tube for all of the lakes.
On the West side, I would suggest staying in Glacier Park. The Apgar campground has several RV spaces. It is dry camping, however. You might need to call the park and reserve a spot.
On the East side the best place to stay is Wagner's Guest Ranch. They have several RV Sites w/hookups. It is only a stone's throw from both Duck and Goose lakes. Out of town flyfisherman that know the area stay at Wagner's. You will get plenty of fishing info. from the other guests. Wagner's has a great fishing atmosphere, great food, cold beer, and a nice great room to relax in and talk fly fishing after dinner. You will find it listed in Baab, Montana. Also, I would call ahead for reservations.
A good selection of flies for the Reservation would be leeches, scuds, damsel nymphs, damsel adults, water boatmen, midges in all stages, caddis in all stages, zug bugs, and humpies.
I hope this has been of some help,
Curt

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've often thought about fishing the Blackffot lakes but I always assumed that like our lakes here they are a spring and fall game. Can you get into good fishing there in July and August?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IveofIone
Thank you very kindly for all of the information on going to Glacier. It certainly exceeded my expectations and gives me a lot of encouragement and anticipation about getting over there. It sounds like the fishing can be really good in places and hopefully not too crowded in early September. Thanks again, Ive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.