Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd ask. What could it hurt. I have been searching out possible sites to find golden trout here in North Idaho. I have found the stocking schedules and it appears that golden trout have been stocked in just a few places over the years. All are very difficult to get to. Some involve trails and other involve no trails and a compass. All involve 3 to 5 day treks.

I haven't searched western Montana yet.

Just curious about where I might find golden trout without a 13 mile trek? And maybe I won't, and that's okay.

·
2,189 Posts
Stayed at Crazy Creek campground on the Beartooth Highway just east of Cook City Montana a couple years back.
We hiked (maybe 6 or 7 miles) up to a alpine lake that we had been told had Golden's in it, pretty high elevation but was rewarded with a number of small, but gorgeous golden's, well worth the hike in some awesome country.

Take your bear spray, we were told thats the area where they put all the problem bears, we didn't see any though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
They are in MT - but all the spots I've found them require you to trek a bit to get to them. That is as much as I'm going to say. Finding them on your own will add to the adventure!
#2016searchforgold

·
Registered
48 Posts
Porcupine lake held some as of a couple years ago. But I heard a rumor they killed that lake off to restock with non-transplant fish. You could drive up there with a good tig but now it's only accessible by a few hours of hiking

·
Registered
472 Posts
They are out there. I did a lot of research online and found a particular lake in the Clearwater drainage that has a self sustaining population resulting from plantings that took place in the early 70s. It's a 6 mile hike to get in, 3 miles on trail, and 3 miles off trail (blaze marks only). The hike was worth it. Try as we might, the fish wouldn't take a surface fly and we didn't have any nymphs that mimicked the freshwater shrimp that we saw in the lake. Spinners worked fine though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Only one I'm familiar with is pretty obvious but I/m not sure if it qualifies as "western." The Golden Trout Lakes near Big Sky has, well, Golden Trout.

About a 5 mile hike in and pretty popular, but it's on my list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.