Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not ashamed to admit I actually watch golf. All 4 Majors and FX Cup, sometimes more than that. Proud member of the BGA ( Bad Golfers of America )! You can read a book, run to the store....and not miss a shot. THIS is the Rub......Tiger is 9 shots back and 99% of the press is about him. I know he is hands down the most talented golfer in history. I watched (in amazement) when he decimated the field winning his 1st. major.....the Masters. But the next few years I sensed that as popular he was, something was missing.....character. Not pleased to realize how little did I know. I am definitely 'Old School' ( actually just old! ), but my personal sports heroes....all sports....have character.... and I prefer "Grit over Gift". I was fortunate to have seen Arnie, Gary and Jack play together when I was a kid. These 3 guys and so many others since.....Payne, Ernie and Phil...just to name a few, had the ' IT ' factor.........Character (for lack of a better description). My opinion is that Tiger never had it. He was so emotional on the course....too much so....that when things went wrong, he got mean and I never thought he was a gracious loser. Phil was a gracious loser ( unfortunately he's had a lot of practice ), with his heart broken after blowing another Major, he showed such great style and patience with the fans and media. All of this is just my observation and belief formed in the last 60 years since I first picked up a hickory shafted club. Tiger will probably win again, but I hope he NEVER wins another Major. Any reply's are welcome....I fully expect to get trashed by some......so bring it on!

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Tiger is good for golf. I watched a little yesterday but then to college football.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.........but you need to remember that golf was just fine before him and since he's been on injured reserve it has been Fantastic! The young guns and especially all the 40+ year olds have kept it pretty exciting.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Not anymore than when any of the other top notch players return from injury, adultery, sabbatical, etc. Certainly he is going to be the talk of the tour this year, presuming he can remain healthy. That's been the case when he was scorching the courses or missing cuts... and why I soon grew weary of the media's gushing lovefest.

Reactions: Sportsman

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
He's arguably the best golfer of all time (and certainly one of the top two or three). Getting to see him play, in whatever state his game's in, is still the PGA's top draw. I played, and watched, golf long before Tiger and have continued to watch this last year while he's been in rehab and there were questions whether he would ever compete on the PGA tour again.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that Tiger's game being competetive again one of the two biggest stories on tour this year (along with the US Ryder Cup victory). This is based on comments from a a sampling including casual fans, golf equipment dealers, and other PGA pros. You may not like the media obsession with Tiger, but they are following the demands of their viewers.

And you're free to comment on (your perception of) his character. Reminds me of all those who waggled their finger at Bill Clinton and tried to impeach him for his conduct. Yeah, Bill was/is a dog. But most of those that were the loudest in condemning him have also been caught cheating on their spouses, abusing their interns, etc.

I don't give a rat's ass who Tiger screws. And while I admire his contributions to children thru his Tiger Foundation, I don't really care about that either. What I miss is the excitement he brings to the PGA tour. From the miraculous shots he's pulled off under pressure to the challenge he represents to the younger PGA stars, I hope he's able to elevate his game back to a consistently competetive level.

I especially hope he's able to get it back together before the Masters, by far my favorite tournament of the year.

Just my .02 - carry on!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not a Tiger fan but it will be exciting to see him try to rise again. competition is very tough indeed. Doubt if he will win another major.

️‍♀️‍♀️‍♀

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
From what I read about him is that he will be barred from any major tournaments because of what he took while rehabilitating from his back surgery. Or did I mis-read it all.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Not aI soon grew weary of the media's gushing lovefest.
and why I soon grew weary of the media's gushing lovefest.
"Gushing lovefest" ....A women warm to my heart that comes up with that quote! Well done. DOUBLESPEY: Not sure how you can find a correlation between tiger and Mr Bill. I read my original post again and I could see that You would think it was his sleazy, low rent "love fest" that was driving my post...far from it. It did have a small part of my assessment of him, but it's on the course I believe he's 2 faced. Not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the 6 I mentioned. Sorry, but I just never bought into the media pushing behind him to sell his brand of golf balls.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I read about him is that he will be barred from any major tournaments because of what he took while rehabilitating from his back surgery. Or did I mis-read it all.
Jim, even if there was such a rule, he would get some BS exemption. Remember that the Generation "T" fans, what I call the hordes that couldn't spell golf( or Play the game) before woods, only watch when he plays. TV knows this, golf equipment manufacturers really know it and they pay the bills! TV is told to milk his 'presence' and they are told to by Nike, Ping and whomever....simple as that.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
I'll give him his fantastic abilities-making shots that mere humans could not be able to make, but as far as class (I'm thinking Arnie here, as the benchmark), as soon as he steps out on the wife, he's shit as far as I'm concerned. Especially with kids involved. Work it out, or go through the proper channels, but have some class......or not.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is the benchmark... arguably of all sports and likely for all of time. I long dreaded the day he was no longer with us.
Very tough year with his passing. No one will ever have the impact on the game as he did. He got married, bought a used sedan and, with his bride, toured the country as a young golfer. Then Television discovered golf and he was in his prime....but being such a great golfer isn't what started Arnie's Army...so much more that playing a game.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Back to golf or womanizing? Both??

Actually, loved to watch him dominate the field for years..but now, I sort of am happy to see Jack's record looks pretty safe unless Tiger has a huge comeback.

Would be good to watch I suppose, but there is alot of good competition-more every year from guys 20 years younger.

Age catches us all.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hideki gets 14 words proclaiming him the winner...Jordan, Bubba, Ricky, Brandt, Henrik and Dustin... not a word ( if you don't know those guy last names) you might be a Gen T.... but that's OK. The guy that finished 14th. gets pages of coverage. Point, Set and Match.....isn't that how you score in golf?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.