Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gold Ray, fish ladder or no, is one of the few remaining fish corks on the upper Rogue (no dams below that I can think of) and it's going to be pulled out this summer. County Commissioners said ... 'Humm, the US government will fork over $5 million if we do, or we have to Pony Up $16 million to bring the thing up to speed.

Protests aside, the 'IT'S OUT OF HERE' was a 'no-brainier' vote. Only real 'down side' is Gold Ray has the one/only fish counter on the whole river system so from this point on, save for 'at the hatchery,' fish run numbers will be a 'SWAG.'

fae

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Good news Fred. I remember fishing for trout above the Gold Rey dam out of a canoe when I was a kid. Lots of fond memories fishing around Gold Rey but the dam needs to go. Now if they could see their way to remove Lost Creek I might consider moving back to my home river.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
That is good news and Lost Creek would be too notlikely Probably would have people yellling about saving the 'Holy Water' big deal! if the fish couldonly have that spawning area back. Or Any of many others the Snake , the Deschutes stc...

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
I cut my trout fishing teeth, fishing the tail waters of Gold Rey and I'm all for "Take it out"
Please excuse me when I say, the real f--k up on the Rogue River fish was Lost Creek Dam. miles and miles of spawning habit wasted.
Because of floods, I call BS on that, I say if the land floods, you people move your shit out of the flood plain.
You want to live next to the river, fine. Put your shit on stilts.
I love southern Oregon, the wild Rogue, Apple Gate, and all the little tribs that feed the system, damn I think I even love those damn little rattles that used to scare the shit out of me.
Thanks for letting me rant. DD

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is good news and Lost Creek would be too notlikely Probably would have people yellling about saving the 'Holy Water' big deal! if the fish couldonly have that spawning area back. Or Any of many others the Snake , the Deschutes stc...
Given the size of the Wm Jess dam not likely that one won't go away during of our life times. But the next on the 'chopping block' are several small dams on the Upper Kalamath River. "All Parties" are in agreement that 'they're history' so it's just a matter of time before they get pulled down. As none of them are that big it won't be a big deal to pull them out and restore many miles of the upper river to its natural state. That said, there will still be a few biggies blocking the upper river (Iron gate comes to mind).

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Gold Ray, Only real 'down side' is Gold Ray has the one/only fish counter on the whole river system so from this point on, save for 'at the hatchery,' fish run numbers will be a 'SWAG.'
fae
As to the fish counter, "how many fish made it past the dam??" Answer: ALL OF THEM

·
Banned
82 Posts
i grew up in shady cove, trail, during h.s. fished up and down 7 days a week. hardly ever got burnt out at that age...but i did occasionally; ) thanks fur the memories. so, i wonder if odfg will come up with some kind of new rules at some point in possibly limiting fishing if we have to wait longer for the fish to hit lost creek if the numbers are too low? that's an aweful lot of river miles between gold ray and Chief hole , )

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grisz, from Gold Ray to the hatchery is right at (give or take a bit) at 30 river miles. Will be interesting to see if folks try to run that section of the river after the dams been pulled. Fellows tried that when Savage Rapids (below Grants Pass) was pulled out earlier ..... one of the first flipped his drift boat. Speaking of that section of the river, haven't taken the time to drive up and take a peek at that section of the river now that 'the lake' is gone.

fae

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Speaking of Savage Rapids

When everyone was getting ready to make a run down through there, Someone asked if I had romm in my boat. To which I jokingly replied, yes if there are any pretty women hanging around. Lo and behold, I got the channel 5 news lady, Ann McCoy, in my boat for the trip. You have to put up with a few commercials, and the part about the guy that got killed on the river, but eventually you get to me,,,on the sat night 6:00 news. :) http://www.localnewscomesfirst.com/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=431&task=videodirectlink&id=2932

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.