Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can find a good fly-tying kit? I've done some tying in the past, but never really aquired all of my own stuff to do it with. I know theres no better feeling than catching a nice hog with "ones own creation." Anyways, Im just seeing if anyone can point me in a direction so that i have all the stuff im gonna need. Im mostly going to start with drys and nymphs, maybe later ill get into some chironomid stuff. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I recieved the fly tying kit from Kaufmann's for Christmas and REALLY like it. Everything is first rate, I doubt there is a better kit out there. :thumb

Edit: And the Kaufmann's staff is quite friendly. My kit came with its own fly tying instructor, in fact. :smokin

·
28 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a kit from Madison River Fishing Co. He said the materials are of excellent quality and you have a choice of vises. He chose a Regal but others available were: Thompson, Renzetti, DynaK and Anvil. Also comes with book "Western Trout fly tying Vol.I" by Jack Dennis. Prices vary with vise. www.mrfc.com

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I like the Umpqua kits; good quality throughout ans you will always use the tools included throughout your tying career. You may buy a better vise and more stuff over time, but the original stuff will be a central part of your tying tools always. Most kits can't boast that.The bigger Umpqua kit is the best buy for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have to agree about catching fish with your own patterns. I caught a 7 pound rainbow this weekend on a homemade fly. Funny thing, this pattern is(was) in testing, I guess if you catch a hog in the first 15 minutes of using it, It passes the test. Now I need a name? The "Mr. T Leech" is currently in the lead.

If you buy a kit, make sure you get a decent vise, or else you'll end up buying one later if you really get into tying. I'd start with some simple patterns: scuds, chironomids, carrie specials, buggers, etc. Dry Flies can be tough at first, especially the really small dries. I personnally can't understand why anyone would spend 2 bucks at a shop for something that is easy to tie. the San Juan worm comes to mind. you could buy the stuff to tie 100 of them for less then 5 bucks, yet I always see them in fly shops. scuds and chironomids too, save your $$$ and tie your own. My .02:professor YT:smokin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Big "D"
I started tying 15 yrs ago,& like you I was looking for a kit. A buddy suggested I decide on what patterns & colors I was going to start with, buy a decent vice, some tools, feathers, fur, hooks, etc, a starter book to learn the methods & a color book of patterns. (It helps if you have someone to go with or if you trust your local shop not to just make a sale)
The problem with most of the kits is you get little of what you actually are going to use & a bunch of other stuff you never will. Then you have to go out & spend more $$$ on what you need. I went to a respected fly shop, told the owner what I wanted to accomplish.
I still use the vice & bobbin I bought way back when.
Prehaps the most useful of all the purchases made that day is "Flies of the Northwest" available from Frank Amato Publications, Portland, Or. It has been a great reference & source of info'.

Happy Hooking, Jeff:beer2

·
Registered
61 Posts
What are the price ranges for the above mentioned kits? As i too am looking into purchasing a quality fly tying kit as my next step.

Fly For Fun

"Trout Don't Live in Ugly Places" - Alex Higala

·
Registered
844 Posts
You can look at the Kaufmann's kits on www.kman.com.

I have the renzetti traveler vice, I highly recomend it.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Hey Girl! I have a R/T also, love it but I have two gripes. I wish it was 3 inches taller and the o-rings keep drying out and cracking. Ditto for you???

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Has anyone tried Hook and Hackle's rotary vice that sells for $45? It has one of those bent arms like Renzetti's. Their web address is: <www.hookhack.com>

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, I have small hands so I haven't noticed the height being off. And I've only had it since Dec. 25th, haven't had enough time to wear out the o-ring. I can see your point though, seems like it will over time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.