Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from fishing four days with my best friends, some of whom I have fished with for over 30 years. We tied #20 black midges and #18 BWO parachutes after breakfast on the dining room table then fished them outside the door. The midges came off at noon followed by baetis at two until four. The fish were everywhere and the fishing, like always, wasn't easy but relaxed. Just the way it's been for all these years.

A few photos of the cabins we stayed at, fished at, generally hung around and one diner we hit on the way.

Leland.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Without even thinking about it that's the way it should be with friends. It's wonderful isn't it. Glad for you and them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Guys, first time poster but I I've been lurking so long that Mumbles and Old Man Jim seem like my Best Frrends Forever and are now on my Christmas card list.
I am getting back into flyfishing after 25 years of working and raising the family. I live in western Montana and have explored a couple nice streams you folks have talked about and had a blast. Thank you for sharing the right amount of information on well known streams without ruining the resources and for the tips and techniques. I will try to reciprocate and even though my experience is limited I have a few favorite rocks that I stand on over here.
I am planning on taking a couple days soon to head west from Montana and dodge rattlesnakes , collect ticks and make a first trip to explore some small streams on the dry side of your state . I have never fished in Washington and am not familiar with access laws and protocol. In Montana, bridge access is very good and I've had decent luck and no problems wading and hiking along the high water mark a short distance from the bridges. Can you tell me what is the protocal on accessing these waters from bridges in Washington? In the area I am thinking of exploring are the road crossings all posted? I have a plan to follow the blue squiggles and I don't mind knocking on doors after narrowing things down a bit. Feel free to PM me or share any general comments if you can help. Thanks for making this such an active and interesting board!
Oh..the Bitteroot is fishing fine although their are a ton of boats. I am really waiting for the W Fork to warm a bit to escape the crowds and hammer some cutts.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Welcome Builder. I hope your trip out of MT is filled with fun, fish and adventure. We'll work on that Christmas card exchange a bit later in the year. Best for your trip!

Leland, great report. I'm especially glad to read that you and your friends had an amazing time together. You deserve all that and more.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Hey Guys, first time poster but I I've been lurking so long that Mumbles and Old Man Jim seem like my Best Frrends Forever and are now on my Christmas card list.
I am getting back into flyfishing after 25 years of working and raising the family. I live in western Montana and have explored a couple nice streams you folks have talked about and had a blast. Thank you for sharing the right amount of information on well known streams without ruining the resources and for the tips and techniques. I will try to reciprocate and even though my experience is limited I have a few favorite rocks that I stand on over here.
I am planning on taking a couple days soon to head west from Montana and dodge rattlesnakes , collect ticks and make a first trip to explore some small streams on the dry side of your state . I have never fished in Washington and am not familiar with access laws and protocol. In Montana, bridge access is very good and I've had decent luck and no problems wading and hiking along the high water mark a short distance from the bridges. Can you tell me what is the protocal on accessing these waters from bridges in Washington? In the area I am thinking of exploring are the road crossings all posted? I have a plan to follow the blue squiggles and I don't mind knocking on doors after narrowing things down a bit. Feel free to PM me or share any general comments if you can help. Thanks for making this such an active and interesting board!
Oh..the Bitteroot is fishing fine although their are a ton of boats. I am really waiting for the W Fork to warm a bit to escape the crowds and hammer some cutts.
Anybody who mentions my name can't be all bad :thumb: At least here in Montana you can mention what rock you were fishing from and there won't be 100's standing on it tomorrow. But for the life of me I don't know why you want to go to Washington on the dry side for fish when there are more and bigger fish in Montana. Hell, I left from there four years ago.

And welcome to the Site. I'm gonna have to try the Bitteroot some time. I have played around on Rock Creek and a little on the Clark Fork. But now it's just the Beaverhead or the Big Hole. And the upper Ruby in the summer time. I need to catch me a bigger Grayling.

Jim

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Jim , I just like to check out new water. I've hit the Big Hole a couple times and taken my daughter dinkin and dunkin down that way on a creek. She had a blast till the skeeters carried her away. It's pretty country down there.I like finding new water and am just looking for some smaller stuff that I can wade on my own without my wife freaking out and worrying about replacing me ...and my gear. Way up Rock Creek in the the summer is perfect. I'll make it down your way this summer and drag your tail out of the house if you like. I'm a pretty average fisherman with a lot to learn but not to damn hard to get along with.
Thanks for the original post too Leland. I take a retired buddy of mine along that was injured a few years ago. He can't really hoof it like we all used to but he can walk a couple miles and fishes a couple hours and we have some good times.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Thanks Jim , I just like to check out new water. I've hit the Big Hole a couple times and taken my daughter dinkin and dunkin down that way on a creek. She had a blast till the skeeters carried her away. It's pretty country down there.I like finding new water and am just looking for some smaller stuff that I can wade on my own without my wife freaking out and worrying about replacing me ...and my gear. Way up Rock Creek in the the summer is perfect. I'll make it down your way this summer and drag your tail out of the house if you like. I'm a pretty average fisherman with a lot to learn but not to damn hard to get along with.
Thanks for the original post too Leland. I take a retired buddy of mine along that was injured a few years ago. He can't really hoof it like we all used to but he can walk a couple miles and fishes a couple hours and we have some good times.
The upper Ruby should be right up your alley in that respect. Lots of beaver ponds and shallow water. I like finding new water also, so in the Summer time you will find me driving all over SW Montana searching.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Oh, I don't fish in a crowd. Anymore that two people in the area and I'm gone. With so much open water here I have a hard time trying to find a crowd, But the Beaverhead on opening day above Pipestone launch can get crowded. But it doesn't get me in the mix.

·
1,411 Posts
Just got back from fishing four days with my best friends, some of whom I have fished with for over 30 years. We tied #20 black midges and #18 BWO parachutes after breakfast on the dining room table then fished them outside the door.
Nothing like matching the hatch and fishing with old buddies. Great post Leland!

Old Man said:
Anybody who mentions my name can't be all bad
*Sniff*...Thanks Jim...*Sniff*
That really means a lot to me...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.