Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Better options in Jefferson or Mason counties, IMHO.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
The trout might be a bit lethargic for the next couple of months. West side lake action should pick up again in March. Of course, maybe that's just my own experience, since Jan/Feb is usually too cold for my aging carcass to be out on a lake fishing.:(

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
For Hood Canal, Eastern Straits,, E. Jefferson, N. Mason, and W. Kitsap, you can try calling the district fish bio (Mark at 360.202.7005) or the area bio (Rick at 360.427.2003). If I get a chance I may try contacting them as well.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
For Hood Canal, E. Straits, E. Jefferson Co., N. Mason Co., and W. Kitsap Co. you can try calling the district fish bio (Mark - 360.202.7005) or area bio (Rick - 360.427.2003. For W. Jefferson Co., the district bio is Mike (360.249.1210).

If I can find out anything, I'll let you know.

·
Topwater and tying.
520 Posts
First question would be "Do you have a boat/floating device of some kind?". Most lakes in western Washington have limited to very limited bank access.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Unlike others here that learned everything on their own through sweat, tears, and walking to school through 3' of snow up hill both ways, I encourage using the Internet to do as much research as possible. It's much better on the environment than just driving around not knowing where to even begin, and makes your personal time much more productive.

Go here to check out lakes in the state. You can target lakes according to how they are managed by WDFW.

Then go here to get an idea of tactics.

Those along with Google Maps will give you directions, driving times, lake maps , and even sample flies.

;)

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
@Bruce Baker thank you for numbers it's much appreciated
Everything learned here is done by lots of exploring. You have to pour over many maps to find places to fish. These members don't give out spots willingly. But Ed's right. Not to many lakes in Kitsap County.

Go buy a DeLorme Atlas and seek out what you seek, Grasshopper.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Everything learned here is done by lots of exploring. You have to pour over many maps to find places to fish. These members don't give out spots willingly. But Ed's right. Not to many lakes in Kitsap County.

Go buy a DeLorme Atlas and seek out what you seek, Grasshopper.
Hi Jim - one time I hitched a ride in a friend's little Cessna. We took off out of Bremerton (not international) airport. Pilot at the controls and me with several USGS maps and other assorted pieces of paper. The intent was to figure out access to the multitude of lakes in Kitsap County. Disagree with @Ed Call only in that there are plenty of places to wet a line in Kitsap.

But for a new member who has only asked about where to go without so much as a Hi, hello, I'm in the Navy or I sell cars, I'm not willing to give a whole lot of information out right away. So @Ratherbefishin86 - share a little personal information, eh? Until then, you've already got some great leads. Blue lines.

Patrick, formerly of Kitsap County

edit - Ps. I didn't do well locating lakes on the map, on one circle, the plane bounced around in its own prop wash and that was all she wrote for me. Didn't barf in the plane but it was close...

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Disagree with @Ed Call only in that there are plenty of places to wet a line in Kitsap.
Looking for decent lakes in Kitsap county to cast some flies into willing to travel though if the fishing is right at other areas
Never said there weren't places to wet a line in Kitsap county, did I? There are plenty. Some with fish. Some with pretty okay fishing. My Jefferson County and Mason County recommendation stands.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Never said there weren't places to wet a line in Kitsap county, did I? There are plenty. Some with fish. Some with pretty okay fishing. My Jefferson County and Mason County recommendation stands.
I remember fishing a lake in Mason County in my very early fly fishing days when a chironomid hatch came off just at dusk. The lake was boiling with trout rising and the air loud with the buzzer hatch. Heck, I thought the lake was void of trout. So I do give your claim credence.

·
The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
2,100 Posts
I mostly fish the salt but here are some lakes around here that I deemed possible due to simply web-searching: Gibbs, Teal, Leland and Beaver.

I gotta admit I haven't fished any of them as I more enjoy prowling salty beaches but.......?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.