Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
Oh Ye Gods!! That's like our club in CA used to be. My grandfather was one of the 10 charter (founding) members in 1909; 4 generations of my family have hunted there. It's the last pit of Pleistocene marsh left in CA, in the Butte Sink area of Colusa County. I literally grew up on those grounds, and wish dearly that I could still hunt them. It's one of the deep sadnesses in my life that I can't share that with a few of my friends, but the assessments are outrageous, so it had to be sold off. I remember it being a place where a bunch of farmers would gather on Winter weekends, play cards, watch bad black&white TV, get up before dawn, shoot ducks, then do it all over the next weekend. Members passed away, memberships got sold or handed down, and the character of the membership changed. People came into money, moved away, sold, and the membership changed again

The old clubhouse on stilts burned to the ground, and the members rebuilt; a little nicer building this time, with carpets, and the rooms were finally heated. And the membership changed again. This building burned, and was rebuilt yet again. But the membership had become wealthy, so they poured money into the new club. It became a showcase; slate floors, huge kitchen facilities, a full-time caretaker, a groundskeeper, a kennel, even an elevator! And no more small-time farmers hunted there.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Holy smokes, where can I find ducks that stupid? They kept coming in while the dog was retrieving birds and they were walking around in the spread. The only time I've seen that is before shooting light when it's still dark and they can't see you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.