Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought of taking the wife and kids out to look at the returning salmon this weekend. Any suggestions on good places to take them that aren't too far from the Redmond area? My guess is the hatchery off the Wallace River might be the best bet. Haven't been to Reiter but was wondering if that's another possibility.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would personally go to the Wallace river hatchery. Was there about three weeks ago and there was quite abit a fish there. Wallace to me is more friendly, that is towards being able to see adult fish.

Harleydeen

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Ballard Locks are in Ballard, down at the end of Market Street I think. You can see the salmon going up the fish ladder over the locks. It's very cool. They have viewing windows where you can see the fish in the ladder from the side. I was there about a month or so ago and saw a lot of 'em.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I used to take trips out to see returning salmon for one of the local environmental groups, and I am not a big fan of taking folks to see them in places that are heavily modified, like hatcheries, dams, and the like. I have tended to take them to see salmon doing normal salmon behavior.

The best salmon viewing is from mid-October to early January. In the Redmond area, the local goverments will set up salmon viewing stations at areas along Bear Creek.

Another favored area is in the Landsberg area, downstream of the parking area along the Cedar River at the old railroad bridge. At Flaming Geyser State Park, it is also possible to see fish from the bridge on the State Park property.

·
Almost Senior Member
109 Posts
It's more fun to watch the boaters try to navigate through the locks then watch the fish, if you like comedy. If you do go there approach the locks from the south side. Parking is better and easer access to the fish ladder (by way of fishermans terminal)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.