Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a friend that wants to learn to fly fish and he's *very* interested in going to the Yak this Saturday. I've fished the upper and lower canyon once each during the late last summer, and don't know it too well. Because of my lack of experience, I'm looking for advice on where to take a beginner. We will not have a drift boat and will be wading/shore casting. Right now I'm thinking the Teannaway creek area as it has a couple of shoals that you can cast from. If you have any other areas that are better, I'd love to hear about them. Also, if you think the Yak is a bad place to start please let me know :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Keep an eye on the flows (this site has a link to the USGS guages). The Yak is not fishable right now, particularly for wading. Those shoals you're talking about are probably under 4' of water. If the flows come down (below 2000 cfs), there is good wading and fishing in the braided sections along I-90 in Cle Elum. Between 2000 and 3000, you can find shore fishing in the canyon below Ellensburg, and pretty much unlimited access. Again, check the flows, and don't even try to get in the water if the flows are much above 2000. (At the summertime levels of 2500-4000, it can be scary getting in up to your calves.)

·
previously micro brew
4,662 Posts
I agree with Ray, the Yak was high and off color last weekend and I wouldn't expect it to improve for this weekend. Respect those high flows Ray is taking about, doesn't take much to put you in the water. Not sure that I really have a suggestions for you, but the closest might be the Snoq. South Fork. It's high but didn't look too off color. It also has a lot of room for a beginner.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Ray, the Yak was high and off color last weekend and I wouldn't expect it to improve for this weekend. Respect those high flows Ray is taking about, doesn't take much to put you in the water. Not sure that I really have a suggestions for you, but the closest might be the Snoq. South Fork. It's high but didn't look too off color. It also has a lot of room for a beginner.
Hrm..... With those warnings in mind where would a good place be where we can catch some fish then? I don't want him to go to a weak fishery as I want him to have fun..... Will Rocky Ford be swamped? What about other east side river?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Universal agreement on the Yakima flows tells me you'll need to consider something else for the near term. Late snowpack this year and little warm weather has created a late melt. I would expect flows to be high for perhaps another month or a bit longer for some. I have spent a fair amount of time on the Snoqualmie north fork using the Weyerhauser gate passes ($65.00) to access several miles of that river that seldomly see fishing activity. Small fish is the down side but they are plentiful and not hard to entice. This is actually a good place to find some solitude and be able to practice technique and it's only an hour out of Seattle which makes for a good afternoon getaway. True Value Hardware in Snoqualmie is where I have purchased my pass in recent years but I honestly don't know the status of these passes this year. If you carefully check maps of this area, you'll find some free access but it will be at the north or south ends of this stretch of water.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Rocky ford will be swamped, but the real problem would be that the fish at RF, while big and everywhere and visable, are notoriously hard to hook, and maybe not a good choice for a beginner. If Lenore is fishing, it might be a good choice. It's right up the road from RF (you could give RF a go in the evening when it's a LITTLE less crowded and the fish are a LITTLE more cooperative), has plenty of wading access (try the extreme north and south ends), lake fishing is a little easier for a beginner anyway, and those lahotan cutts are dumb as bricks. Big too. That Snoqulmie/Weyerhaeuser stuff might be a good idea too, though it's kind of hard to find stuff if you don't know your way around up there.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rocky ford will be swamped, but the real problem would be that the fish at RF, while big and everywhere and visable, are notoriously hard to hook, and maybe not a good choice for a beginner. If Lenore is fishing, it might be a good choice. It's right up the road from RF (you could give RF a go in the evening when it's a LITTLE less crowded and the fish are a LITTLE more cooperative), has plenty of wading access (try the extreme north and south ends), lake fishing is a little easier for a beginner anyway, and those lahotan cutts are dumb as bricks.
Sweet :) Just what I'm looking for. We don't have pontoon boats but I do have a canoe. Is the shore access easy enough?

Big too. That Snoqulmie/Weyerhaeuser stuff might be a good idea too, though it's kind of hard to find stuff if you don't know your way around up there.
I thought about it, but since I live in the South Sound, buying a pass would be a real waste to me.... Good idea for Chris, but I want to make sure he's going to like fly fishing first...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Shore access at either end of Lenore is very easy, and at the south end it's practically unlimited. Keep an eye on the wind if you're going to launch the canoe, but you won't have to go far. There's plenty of good fishing all along the southeast and northeast corners, and the wading is good too. Try to get some reports (try Worley-Bugger Flyshop in Ellensburg and the Blue Dun in Wenatchee); Lenore can be a little hot and cold this time of year, and it suffered a fish-kill a few years ago, though I read good reports earlier this season on this site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you and your buddy do fish Lenore, please post how you did, what you did, etc...Thanks. I went to Lenice for the first time a couple of months ago and again a couple of weeks ago. It was windy but managed to catch fish and learned a bunch as this was my first lake experience.

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

Does any body know what shape the river is in say from Easton down to Cle Elem. I usually like to fish thay area as it doesn't get to many floaters.

Thanks Jim :COOK

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was there Tuesday. Didn't give it a try because I was on my way to a lake but I did stop and check it out. It looked high but clear and fishable with some decent caddis activity but no surface feeders.

Did fairly well last year in that section and found some nice cutts but it was later in the season, closer to July.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.