Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to fly fishing and would like to know what fishing spots (river or lake) are fairly close to Seattle (say within a 30 minute drive).
I went to the middle fork snoqualmie trailhead - beautiful place. Just wondering what is closer.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Lucky Jack, have you invested in a map yet? Use a good map, such as the DeLorme Gazzateer and your regs to see what is in your local area and go exploring. Post that you are headed out and see if anyone can show you around. Rattlesnake Lake is not far from Seattle. The Cedar River is another option. There are lots of places discussed in thread after thread on the forum. Check your regs to see what is open and if any special rules are in effect for the areas you go fishing and use those maps to find some fun.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
THere is nothing close to Seattle. But if you do a search you will find a few spots closer to home to go hit. I have listed a few. All it takes is some gas and a will to drive a little bit.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
30 minutes from Ballard is not a very big area!!!!

You mentioned lakes so you must have some sort of floating device to fish from. With that in mind and 30 minutes you have Green Lake, Lake Washington, the south end around Coulon Park, Seward Park, the Arboretum, and then the south end of Lake Sammamish. Pine and Beaver lakes up on the plateau above Issaqua are also options. The forks of the Snoqualmie, north of North Bend and east of Snoqualmie is a moving water option. Then there is Linclon Park in West Seattle that is a salt water show and fished from the beach.

Your best resource in finding places to fish is YOU! Read the regs, look at maps, peruse this web sight and use Google maps to locate the type of fishing you want to explore. This forum is huge and everyone here has their own thing when it comes to fishing. There are freshwater guys, salt water guys, trout guys, salmon guys, steelhead guys, small creek guys, panfish guys and on and on. The thing all have in common for the most part is that they dedicate themselves to doing research for what they want to do whether it is chasing steel or catching crappie.

Because you won't get a lot of places to fish isn't a slam on you. It is that most of the people here have taken the time to go do their homework which is a big part of the game. Many of us have driven 1000's of miles, busted untold amounts of brush, slid down banks and found more dead end roads imaginable. Heck if we were paid a $1 an hour in search of fish we could all retire!!!

Welcome to the insanity!! And when you do find your own little honey pots don't expect it to be nirvana. The fish will go hide or just not be there. The water will be too high, too low or too colored up or too warm or too cold. This isn't an easy game!! Two things you will learn quickly or die, patience and fortitude.
I might add that after awhile humble pie ala mode is pretty good after a day of frustration! I'll take mine with a generous pour of Canadian whiskey to ease the aches and pains and reflect on the day and all it's happenings.

Dave

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
green lake. other than that, the best option is without a doubt the beach fishing for salmon and sea run cutthroat. it can take bit to figure out, but a bunch of fun especially since you may get into some silvers this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
30 minutes from Seattle? I can only think of the Beaches for cut throat, or salmon. You might try some of the urban lakes in the area such as Green Lake and what ever is up north. The Arboretum is fishable. Lake Washington. There are many opportunities in the Seattle area. Not pristine like the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie, but, there is fish, (no guarantees as to which kind.)

As Mumbles suggested, check the regs where ever you fish.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
How hard is it to find a place to fish near Seattle. You won't find it here as most here are tight lipped about their fishing holes. Me, I could care less about where you all go. But to find anyplace worth fishing you have to do some exploring. We all did so I guess you will have to.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
middle fork, south fork, beaches, rattlesnake lake, look up any trails with "river" in the name and you should be in business.

Drop me a PM if you need to run some ideas by me. I've been fishing out of Seattle for the last two years. There's a lot of water in a day's shot.

·
Learned skills from George Dickel
481 Posts
A little more than 30 minutes gets you to Foss River and Beckler, Tye rivers off US 2 Stevens pass road.
Off I 90 is everywhere from Snoqualmie pass to Cle Elum along the Yakima river, but you would need to drive a little fast to take less than 1 1/4 hours to get there.

But the Yakima is usually worth getting over there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What's the fishing like in the arboretum? I recently moved to Seattle and I don't have a car, so I fish places I can get to by bus.

There are some spots on the Duwamish where I have caught salmon and I have fished Lincoln Park and Golden Gardens. Green Lake apparently has opportunities for warm water species, and the mainstem of the Snoqualmie has steelhead and sea run cutts but I have yet to fish it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What's the fishing like in the arboretum? I recently moved to Seattle and I don't have a car, so I fish places I can get to by bus.
You can rent a canoe and fish it. I think there are a lot of Bass there. Perhaps some trout. I remember a article a few years back in a magazine that highlighted some places in Seattle a person could fly fish. Beaches or the Lakes in the City.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If I didn't have a car, I'd skip renting a canoe and use the $ to comb the web for rental car discounts & rent one for a weekend & go east, heck I'd sleep in it by the water to maximize fishing time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.