Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The post on Jose Wejebe's last show reminded me of how much I used to enjoy watching Spanish Fly and Walker's Cay Chronicles. Those two were about the only fishing shows that really got my attention. Thanks to the reminder, and the internet, I've been catching up on a bunch of old shows that I haven't seen in years, and many I somehow missed.

The last time I saw these shows I could only dream of fishing in exotic places for bonefish, tarpon, tuna, dorado, etc... So watching them now has a whole new perspective. Still a bummer knowing Jose is gone, and kinda weird feeling a sense of loss for someone you've never met.

Anyway, here are a couple of links to both shows:

Spanish Fly TV

The Walker's Cay Chronicles (on pages 5 and 6 are a couple good ones with Jose as Flip's featured guest)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The post on Jose Wejebe's last show reminded me of how much I used to enjoy watching Spanish Fly and Walker's Cay Chronicles. Those two were about the only fishing shows that really got my attention. Thanks to the reminder, and the internet, I've been catching up on a bunch of old shows that I haven't seen in years, and many I somehow missed. For me, something that's really cool is the last time I saw these I could only dream of fishing in exotic places for bonefish, tarpon, tuna, dorado, etc... Watching them now has a whole new perspective. Still a bummer knowing Jose is gone, and kinda weird feeling a sense of loss for someone you've never met.

Anyway, here are a couple of links to both shows:

Spanish Fly TV

The Walker's Cay Chronicles (on pages 5 and 6 are a couple good ones with Jose as Flip's featured guest)

Enjoy!
Totally agree SilverFly. I could watch Jose and Flip for hours. I felt like Jose was one of the first guides on tv that genuinely wanted to teach the audience how to replicate what he was doing. As an aside, I used to spend my summers in the Keys growing up (thanks grandparents) and spent a lot of time on the docks in Key West and Islamorada. Jose was respected by everyone down there and somehow avoided "going Hollywood" despite his success. Thanks for sharing!

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Spanish Fly was the first place I saw anyone actually fly fishing on TV. I think Walker's Cay was 2nd. IIRC they used to come on back-to-back on Saturday morning. Good shows without the thrashy canned guitar riffs ala Hawg Quest. Thanks for pointing these out; I seem to have a lot of screen time available at the moment.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Totally agree SilverFly. I could watch Jose and Flip for hours. I felt like Jose was one of the first guides on tv that genuinely wanted to teach the audience how to replicate what he was doing. As an aside, I used to spend my summers in the Keys growing up (thanks grandparents) and spent a lot of time on the docks in Key West and Islamorada. Jose was respected by everyone down there and somehow avoided "going Hollywood" despite his success. Thanks for sharing!
I think the common appeal with Jose and Flip is that their love for the sport is so great there isn't any room left for ego. I also like both shows for somewhat different reasons.

The "teacher" aspect with Jose is clear, and I've always liked his technical/analytical approach. There's a ton of great info in the short videos under "Vida del Mar" and "Tackle Box" on the Spanish Fly TV site. Much of it isn't fly fishing, and some has a definite promotional aspect, but is still great information that can be applied to a wide variety of fly fishing situations.

There's also plenty to learn from watching Walker's Cay, and I really enjoy Flip's philosophical approach.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Having trouble sleeping so watched a couple more WCC episodes. Gotta check out this fly rod marlin fight from an older show (see page 6) in Guanamar Costa Rica. They're after sailfish when Flip's buddy Dozer hooks a 300 lb class marlin - on Flip's 12 weight after he stepped away to use the head. The hookup sequence starts at the 7:40 mark, but there's amazing jump sequence from 12:30 to 13:30 that has to be seen. Hard to believe the fish/horsepower needed to put that much water in the air.

Great commentary by Mr Pallot as usual. Dozer's reaction to the hookup was pretty good too... "It's marlin, it's a marlin, IT'S A BIG MARLIN!!" "God how did I get a marlin on here? THIS isn't supposed to happen!!!"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having trouble sleeping so watched a couple more WCC episodes. Gotta check out this fly rod marlin fight from an older show (see page 6) in Guanamar Costa Rica. They're after sailfish when Flip's buddy Dozer hooks a 300 lb class marlin - on Flip's 12 weight after he stepped away to use the head. The hookup sequence starts at the 7:40 mark, but there's amazing jump sequence from 12:30 to 13:30 that has to be seen. Hard to believe the fish/horsepower needed to put that much water in the air.

Great commentary by Mr Pallot as usual. Dozer's reaction to the hookup was pretty good too... "It's marlin, it's a marlin, IT'S A BIG MARLIN!!" "God how did I get a marlin on here? THIS isn't supposed to happen!!!"
If you have time on your hands, this is a good website to check out as well http://waypointtv.com/
Its a good website that aggregates several fishing shows that I personally enjoy. Mostly gear fishing, but there is occasionally some fly stuff on Saltwater Experience. Do check out "SilverKings" as its a good show for tarpon on the fly. Its a little more new school and in no way compares to the likes of WCC or SF....but it scratches the itch. I often have this website up while at the vise.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have time on your hands, this is a good website to check out as well http://waypointtv.com/
Its a good website that aggregates several fishing shows that I personally enjoy. Mostly gear fishing, but there is occasionally some fly stuff on Saltwater Experience. Do check out "SilverKings" as its a good show for tarpon on the fly. Its a little more new school and in no way compares to the likes of WCC or SF....but it scratches the itch. I often have this website up while at the vise.
Thanks. I'm liking Silver Kings so far. Unfortunately I haven't actually landed a tarpon yet, so it's inflaming the itch more than the show is scratching it.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know what you mean. Every single post you make regarding tuna makes me go crazy. I simultaneously love and hate your posts :) I am determined to get one this year!
Good to know. I sometimes wonder if people are thinking "Geez, when will this guy STFU about tuna already?!" Not that I'd blame them. I freely admit having a serious tuner problem. Keep your fingers crossed for better weather this year and we'll make it happen.

I only met Jose briefly one time a little over 10 years ago, but he was definitely not Hollywood by any stretch. He was flying out to fish on a mothership operation that I had just come back from, and he was checking out my photos and asking me tons of questions about what to expect, just like any real fisherman would. There was no ego with that guy, unlike a lot of other tv personalities that I've run across.
That's exactly how I imagine he'd be in that situation. Totally focused on the fishing and picking the brains of anyone with fresh intel. He obviously had a good sense about who to ask as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.