Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get into fly tieing, for obvious reasons. What is a good vise that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but will be enough of a precision intstrument to work with once fly tieing goes beyond the basics.

·
Whammo!
494 Posts
I started out with a simple Thompson vise and it work well for years.. cost 50 bucks.. I am looking to purchase a more high end rotary vise and if I had any ad"vise" for you would be do your research then shop eBay for it used!

Good Luck!

Mike:beer1

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
It is my belief that you should start with a good quality rotary vice. Why by an "economical" vice only to turn around a get a better one a year or so from now? As long as it holds a variety of hooks firmly, any vice is good. The little differences end up being a personal choice. What do I use? Renzetti Traveler. It turned out the post was a little short for my tying style, so I sit it on a block with the base pointing left and vice pointing right to add a couple of inches to the "reach". Works just fine.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
resident lurker
131 Posts
i use a Griffin Superior 2A cam vise, i think i got it thru Cabela's for the 40-ish dollar range. it works well for my purposes, which are just the basics. by all means don't get the super-cheap round nose vise you usually see in starter kits, it's not worth saving the 20 bucks for.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I highly agree with Roper. I started out on a cheap vise that came with an old kit that was given to me (a thompson knockoff). Then, several years ago I bought a Griffin rotary. Was only like $90 (which UPS paid for all of it off one their incentive programs so was actually free to me) and worked great. Then finally I moved up to a dynaking barracuda to do my production tying. Rotaries really help the learning curve. You get to lay the material on the hook like a lathe. You get better profiles, and EVEN appearance. I always hated either having to unlash hook to see other side, or get up and look over. Now, I see it as I roll the body on.

You don't need to go top notch, but you can easily get by with the lower end ones. I loved my griffin. I was going to keep as a backup. But I was made an offer I couldn't refuse (guy wanted to trade me a mint 1973 ambassadeur 5001c with leather case, instruction manuals, and case straight across for my then very used vise).

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I third the above statement. I just bought a Dyna King Voyager for 169.00 after using a 15.00 thompson for a month. A month doesnt sound like a long time but it was way too long. This new vise has only had a few flies tied on it but I can tell you already it is a million times better and I should have bought it first thing. Personal opinion :dunno :dunno

Good luck
~Patrick ><>

·
Tom Van Gelder
35 Posts
I agree with Roper. I alo have a Renzetti Traveler and found the original post short. I checked out Renzetti's web site and found they had a longer post available. With the longer post the vise is more comfortable.

Tom

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

I'm only a couple of months ahead of you in regards to flytying experience and my choice was the DanVise. It retails for $75-$80 but can sometimes be found for less on eBay. It's a true rotary, a feature I'm finding more and more reason to like.
Beyond that, I'd suggest that a vise is something to look at as an investment. You're (probably) not going to wear it out and you want something that'll grow with you.

For less than $100.00 I think you'll find the DanVise hard to beat, but at the same time I can't quarrel with any of the other opinions here.

One other factor to consider is whether you want something that'll travel well...if that's an interest.

Good luck - and welcome to a really cool hobby, er...passion, er...obsession!

Mike:thumb

·
Registered
15 Posts
I started out with a Cabela's kit with a $15 vise and got away with it for a year or two. Recently I decided to upgrade. I was looking for a rotary under $200. I narrowed it down to the Renzetti Traveler and the Peak Fishing PRV-1 (www.peakfishing.com). The Peak vise looked more sturdy, at least as well made as the Renzetti, and about $50 cheaper. So, that was what I got. I have had the Peak vise now for about two months, tied about 75 flies with it (from size 10 down to 20), and I think I made the right choice. The jaws are well-machined, the cam is smooth and beefy, and the base is rock solid. It definitely has the substantial look and feel of a quality instrument. For the price, I think it's a steal.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it, and don't forget to save some $$ for fur and feathers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.