Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending Saturday morning lounging in our PJ's watching the rain my kids and I decided to visit the Earth Day event going on at our local park. The kids had fun making T-Shirts and learning how the water from our house, lawn, and car washing end up in the streams. I got to speak with a smart young lady about the movements of juvenile salmon in my local estuaries and learned of several **** removal plans in our area. I also met 2 gentlemen from the Evergreen Fly Fishers and picked up a tip on how to tie a fly I've been working on. Thanks Guys.

Sunday afternoon my wife and I decided to take a trip to the beach and let the kids play. So we packed a beach bag of sand toys and another with snacks and change of clothes. I packed a 5 wt and my assortment of flies from the recent SRC Fly Swap and we were off. The kids enjoyed racing their toy boats in the feeder stream and playing in the rocks and sand. My wife enjoyed relaxing in a beach chair and enjoying the sun. I pulled on my waist high waders and strung up a Type II full sink line and tied on Steve S's Cutthroat Fly.

It was the last 1/2 hour or so of an incoming tide. I slowly walked the beach and noticed hundreds of fry all along the beach, but no signs of trout. I walked and casted here and there for about 1/2 mile of the beach and was surprised with one take. It was about a 12" SRC that came off at my knees. Every cast in this location resulted in salad and green slime so I reeled up and headed back toward my family. By the time I got back to my kids it was slack high tide and the water was dead calm. I sat down to eat a granola bar and while I was chewing my first bite I saw a really large fry pop out of the water. hmmm... a little too big for a fry. I watched and ate and after 2 more rises in the same spot I couldn't take it. I shoved the rest of the bar in my mouth and grabbed my rod.

I waded out about chin deep and cast at an angle along the beach. On the third cast I had one on. Yippie! I brought it to hand and it was a small 10" or so SRC. My kids waded out to see it and watch me let it go. Very cool. The next cast a fish hit as soon as the fly hit the water. Holy Cow, another one! After 2 more fish like this I decided to try another fly from the swap. So, I put on the Popsicle. After a couple casts and adjusting how long I let it sit before stripping it in I had another on. I missed several more strikes and then caught 1 more. This was turning out to be way more fun than I imagined. Great Flies Gentlemen! By this time the tide had turned and was heading out. The fish seemed to just vanish. I cast several more times but could tell the fish had moved on. I went back up to my kids and sat down again.

Then I noticed a bunch of cormorants (sp?) bunched up just to north of us. I watched for a few minutes and saw a few splashes amoungst them. I better check this out I thought. I decided to change to a floating line and try out Ron's gurgler this time. I made way over the birds and they swam away from me and voiced their dislike of my intrusion. I cast the gurgler over to where they had been and started to retrieve it. I saw one wake follow it and then turn away. I played with several retrieves with similar results. I then tried a long slow pull retrieve and lost sight of the fly on the 3rd pull. Opps! Fish on! Lost it almost immediately. With that retrieve I continued to get strikes but no solid sets. I even saw the fly get knocked out of the water a couple times. The gurgler on the surface was definitely a blast!

After 15 minutes or so the fish were gone again. So I returned the beach and played in the sand with my kids until it was time to head home. All in all, a fantastic weekend. Learned about juvenile salmon, met some fellow fly fishers, played on the beach, and caught some fish. As I drove down my street heading to work this morning I noticed how nice all my neighbor's yards look.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
TD, awesome report and great validation on how swaps can put quality fly varieties in your hands. Fun, family, fishing and learning a few things sounds like you had one awesome weekend. Thanks for sharing.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Sounded like you had a blast.

I read the you mentioned dike removal. I was just wondering about those dikes down around Marysville. The ones around Berringer farms. They were going to breach some of them four years ago to turn some of the land back to wetlands. Did they ever do that??

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounded like you had a blast.

I read the you mentioned dike removal. I was just wondering about those dikes down around Marysville. The ones around Berringer farms. They were going to breach some of them four years ago to turn some of the land back to wetlands. Did they ever do that??
Not yet but from what I was told those and others along that stretch of I-5 and Ebey Slough will be removed. I was told that they have been completing the work that must be done prior to removing the ***** so that the new tidal activity does not damage the areas they want to keep. Like I-5 and some industrial areas.

She had some interesting tidal activity models for that entire area.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice report. I love days were all the clues come together and the fish respond. Glad to here my crappy imitation of Larry's Popsicle is working ;)
The Popsicle worked very well when I fished it just off the rock bottom. If I fished it too close to the surface I didn't get any hits. I'm not certain why they would pound Ron's Gurgler on the surface but not the popsicle.

In the clear water I could see that fly when it got within about 20 ft of me. It was really neat to see the fish take it. That may be part of the reason I kept missing them.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I fish the "Popsicle Stick" generally pretty slow. In shallow water you do have to pick up the speed as with any fly, otherwise you're in the oysters! Don't forget to try it for coho this summer with fast strips and a #4.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fish the "Popsicle Stick" generally pretty slow. In shallow water you do have to pick up the speed as with any fly, otherwise you're in the oysters! Don't forget to try it for coho this summer with fast strips and a #4.
I ended up fishing it comparitively slow to keep it down where they liked it. I found as it got close to me I had to speed it up to keep it off the rocks. I can see how coho would go for it. It is very similar to the buckhair flies I have used for coho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.