Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what brand of digital camera everybody favors. Worldanglr seems to have the best photos around but that might just be because of the huge fish! I was also wondering if anyone knew if you could get to Goose Lake yet. And while I'm on the subject; last fall a middle age guy in a red kayak, fishing a bamboo rod, turned me on to this site. I was in my jonboat with my gray cattle dog catching tryps by the boat ramp. You took a picture for me with my disposable camera and recommended this site. Sound familiar? If its you let me know, thanks.:beer2

·
Registered
748 Posts
As of 1-2 weeks ago you could get to Goose from the town of Willard or from the Trout Lake side. The Carson side was still blocked by snow at Four Corners.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Was that last September by chance. I was there in my little Red kayak but I had a old glass rod not bambo. The rest of the story sounds right though. You were fishing right off the boat ramp and fishing off of that rock that you could stand up on and see all the fish. They had just planted all those fish from the derby. I was thinking about going there this weekend myself alittle. I was just looking at the maps to remember how to get there tonight.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yeah Chris, that was pretty bad x( Did you pick up a new one yet?

I use the Canon Powershot s230, it's a real nice camera, the size of a pack of smokes, so I can take it anywhere with me. It's also nice that it's 3.2 megapixels, which makes the quality clear, and if you take a photo that is too far away, you can always zoom in later with Photoshop! I paid $370 for mine off ebay about 6 months ago.

There are a couple of complaints I have about my camera.

1) It doesn't shoot real well in about the hour or so before dark. Works fine for close-up fish fotos after dark, works great during the day, but during low light, it has a tendency to turn on the flash when you don't always want it, because it sometimes drowns the photo with too much light.

2) Zoom zoom! Because of the compact size of the camera, the zoom is a bit limited. There have been times when I've wanted a bigger zoom, but then again, most of the time, I don't use the zoom at all. I just set up the photo better... Still, it's a consideration.

3) Macro shots. I was disappointed to find out that shooting photos of flies is a bit difficult with my camera. It has a wide angle lense on it, somewhere around 28 mm, and has a bit of a hard time focusing on real close-up shots.

Some things I like about my camera:

1) Ultralight, ultra compact. Why is this important, aside from the obvious? Because it's so light, I end up taking it everywhere with me. I end up getting shots that other wouldn't because the camera is always on me. Greyghost has a sweet Nikon N65 SLR camera, and he was always afraid to take it in the float tube with him, not that I blame him. When I first met Brian O'Keefe, I asked him what the secret to his awesome photos was, "How do you do it man?". He said it had nothing to do with magical photographic wizardy skill, just the fact that he goes to some pretty cool places. He said a lot of his shots are taken with a point-and-shoot camera. I don't think this is entirely true, he's a damn good photographer, but the point was made: Go to cool places, get good photos.

2) 3.2 megapixels is all that I need. There are some cameras that are small that are higher megapixel, but I'm not how much more you need than that. 3.2 megapixels is the size of a poster...

3) One of the best battery lifes of any camera. 2 hours of non-stop use, and it only takes 20-30 minutes to recharge. Replacement batteries are relatively cheap, around $35.

Considerations:

Do your homework beforehand! Go to www.dpreview.com, it's an excellent site with 15 page reviews on just about every digital camera out there.

I would really suggest purchasing an extra battery, car charger, and a large storage card for your camera. This weekend, I caught a 26" brown, but didn't get a photo because my camera battery was dead.

Compact Flash seems to be the best storage medium out there, as it's the most versatile and widely used. My mp3 player also uses Compact Flash, meaning I can use the same card for either. Also, CompactFlash is very cheap at the moment, as cheap as $0.25 per megabyte off of www.overstock.com. Also, spend the money and buy the "high speed" compact flash. Most manufacturers are making cards up to "48x". They are a bit more expensive, but it's worth it. FOr one, you'll be able to take better movies with your camera, not that I do that anyway. More importantly, the faster the CompactFlash card, the faster your camera will write to it, and the less "delay" between camera shots!

All in all, I love my digital, and I don't know how'd I'd live without it. I'm thinking of purchasing a SLR for taking some higher end photos, since taking photos is just so much fun! You might also want to consider, if I had to do it again, buying a Canon G3, which has seperate lenses you can purchase. Macrowdy just bought one, I'd be interested to see how he likes it!

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was fishing Crab creek a month ago, while trying to unhook a carp and keep my yorkie from chewing on it my Kodak Dig camera ending up in the soup. It probably only spent 3 seconds underneath, I took it apart ( what I could take apart) and dried it on my cars defrost, works just fine still!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Canon Powershot S30. It is also 3.2 megapixels, but is probably slightly larger than Worldanglers'. I'm not familiar with the S230, but with the S30 you can turn off the flash if you don't want it, and there are also settings to shoot close up photos, black and white, sepia, etc. It has lots of bells and whistles, some of which you won't use very often, but I can't really think of anything that bugs me about the camera. I love it! It even shoots video, if only for 30 seconds.:)

I just tie it on in the pocket on my waters so it can't fall in the water, but I can still pull it out and click away at any time.

Like Worldangler said, Photoshop can work wonders for your photos either cropping, or just pumping up the color, etc., but mostly a good photograph is made up of knowing what is a nice composition and such. No camera will help that.

Also anything above a 3.2 megapixel is not needed unless you're a professional who needs to provide images in a very high resolution for printing. I've never even used the highest quality setting on my camera.

Good luck.
:thumb

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I really like my Canon s200 elph (similar to worldangler's i believe). 2.0 mega pixels is all I need. Great battery life. And... one thing not mentioned- really fast between pics. Some digi cams can take several seconds and more between photos. Don't need that with the fish out of the water. Still can't beat good ol slide film for the real deal high quality prints.

Here are a couple photos taken with it:
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=335&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=105&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=133&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a Sony Cybershot F505, and love it. It takes great close ups, has super zoom capabilities, and is expensive (maybe $1,000 now). The batteries are not too bad and last about an hour of continuous use. I stumbled on to it for a sweet price through a relative, so it may be more than most people want for fishing pictures, but if you take lots of other photos like I do, the extra $ are worthwhile. Check out examples in the photo gallery.
aaron j

·
Fish Recycler
681 Posts
To add to the question, does anybody know of a waterproof digital? One that is completely submersible would be great.

I have an old (4 years) Olympus digital that is mighty primitive and a Sony Mavica which is one of the big ones that takes floppy disks or smart media. Both have their uses, but neither is good for fishing trips, so I always have one of those 35 mm waterpoof disposables with me. I did take the mavica along on a canoe trip on the American river near Sacramento, CA once - and we rolled the canoe. Thank God the camera was in a Ziploc bag, and the ziploc held. The camera didn't get even a drop of water on it. Another great Ziploc commercial in the making.

Teeg.

----------------------------------

Let 'em swim

·
Registered
134 Posts
After ruining my Canon S30 taking pictures with wet hands, I've found an Olympus Stylus 300. It's advertised as an all weather camera, meaning that it's water and dust resistant. Not totally water proof, but still an improvement. It's smaller and lighter than the Canon S30, has the same lens size and is also 3.2 megapixels. It uses the XD-picture card which is postage stamp sized...another plus in my mind. So far I'm really happy with it.

Fritzer
:thumb

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Thats crazy

Every time I look at that picture I cant help but think "YUCK" and at the same time it is such an amazing picture with the closeness and detail and crispness...it blows me away...awesome picture Mac!!

What does "3 stacked macro diopoters" mean and can the common non-photgraphic oriented people do this??

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
83 Posts
canon makes housings for many of their digital cameras. i have the s300(earlier version of the s320) and a housing that snaps onto the camera and makes it water proof up to 100 ft i think. its bulky and not to cheap(150 or so dollars a year or two ago) but i think it has paid for itself. it also allows all the controls and zoom to work while underwater. i bought it at ballard camera as but you could also look at the canon site. jer

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would not mind knowing what the answer is- What is three stacked macro diopoters?:dunno
Also, where did you get it used? This is fly fishing related because, for one a picture is worth a thousand words and two, I carry my camera everywhere and have wished I had planned on possibly getting it wet... before I was trying to dry it off on the heater vents of the pick up coming home.:)
><> glen

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.