Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
schmokin'reel

im wondering if anyone uses gps handhelds when you fish. i was thinking of getting one, maybe it could apply to fishing too? i would love to get back to some of the places i see when im driving but of course, forget 2 minutes later. and if you do what model? thanx-bhudda:smokin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bhudda,
I just recently purchased a Garmin eTrex Vista. I have used it a few times over in the Methow and during a recent work related Geocaching event. I have been very pleased with the ease of use and accuracy. I would recommend the Venture, Legend or Vista because of the joystick on the top that lets you navigate and enter data much easier than other units. I also like that fact that it is waterproof. Currently Garmin is offering a rebate on select models. Check out Garmin.com for more info.
Hope this helps.
B-rad :thumb

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
I have used a garmin for a few years now and it indeed makes life easier especially on larger lakes to find the slot your looking for. a depth finder is great, however a gps will get you within a few feet of where you were before. no more marking that tree on the beach then wondering if your lined up when you go back. false confidence builder? who knows, but if it puts me where i have had success before, especially in B.C. on the larger lakes, say Sheridan size (anyone know of the sunken island out in the middle of the lake, the one you dont see unless its realy calm and bright, goes from 75' to 10' in a hurry and is not on any of the maps. great cruizing water for big fish but to find it in other than perfect conditions, its impossible), it does to me make a difference. Also countless times it has gotten me back to the truck a lot faster than if I just thought I knew where I was going, especially in darker times or when there is overcast, or fog. Saved my bacon, no. But did take the guess work out of it. It is kind of comical when your sitting around the fire swapping gps coordinances instead of fly patterns. Forgot what garmin model I have while writing this, but its the green cased one. Also fun to use when just sitting around wondering how far away some of your spots are from your couch and how long it would take you to get there. Makes your mind wonder and if you realy had to, how quickly you could get to somewhere. go to garmin.com, they will answer most of your questions on line... get one, if you got the money, it will be worth it. oh, and make sure you have spare batteries, they do eat them pretty good.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
are you mocking me???? I carry a pair of the nvg-51 night vision goggles for the browns we hunt at night. They are serious business and can help any beginning angler to quickly improve their catch count. I doubled the amount of fish I caught the first night I used them. I reccomend them to anyone.
Oh I forgot to mention that I use powerbait at night also cause you can see it better through the goggles. :+

GPS side of thread: I have been eye balling the Rhino so I can keep track of the old man and where he's hiding along the river. Those Rhino's are cool cause they have the two-way radio built in...up to five mile range if you needed it. :thumb :thumb :thumb .

Im hoping they have a longer tracking range in the future so that when my daughter gets older I can slap one on here and know exactly where she is at all times }(

~Patrick ><>

·
Trout Bum
666 Posts
If using mainly for fishing I would reccomend a marine grade GPS for the just in case factor of dropping it in the lake/stream. The Magellan Meridian has a Scan Disk slot which takes a memory card up to 256 MB so you can download your favorite maps to the card. The standared Meridian also has the card slot and is weatherproof. The Magellans have a much better antenna then the Garmins but other then that and the memory card slot, the two are pretty close in features.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
"Im hoping they have a longer tracking range in the future so that when my daughter gets older I can slap one on here and know exactly where she is at all times"

You mean you haven't had the micro-chip implanted yet??? What's wrong with you Bro'???

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I'm about ready to quit fishing. Just to many gadgets out there for one person to have. If you keep buying everything you are going to have to have a second boat for all the toys that you need to take with you when you fish. All of a sudden it seems like fly fishing is out of my league. And no I'm not going this weekend,wife has to work and I have to babysit. But I'm really going to try and make Dry Falls the next weekend. If these outings were held in the middle of the week it would be no problem. I got to quit rambling and sign off now....................................:dunno

Jim

·
Registered
790 Posts
Old man, don't give up. My grandfather used an old well worn bamboo rod and could fish circles around me with my newer graphite rod. Remembering that helps me keep perspective on the newer gadgets.

All that said, for people who do a lot of hiking, a GPS unit can be invaluable.

Pete

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
ive had a gps for two years now and i dont really use it except for when it gets foggy out on the sound or when i cant quite remember where the hot spot was. other than that it just takes up space. but, if you feel that you will use it and you have the money, why not. i suppose if it saves you from getting lost one time than it was worth it then. :thumb

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
schmokin'reel

thank everybody for the info. they are expensive so to try and narrow it down your suggestions haved helped. i am a solo fisherman and i dont always trust my memory, so leave it to the satalites! :+ bhudda

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Oh,I'm not ready to give up yet as I was just rambling earilier. I just can't seem to kick myself in the butt and get back out before I forget how to fish. I only got lost once in the woods and that was because my buddy was too busy catching to remember we had a mountain to climb to get back to the car and it was getting dark. Spent a night in the woods.

With all the new toys out there I'm trying to tell myself that I need a float tube as the pontoon boat is getting to heavy to carry very far. But part of me wants it and part of me doesn't. Decisions,Decisions,Decisions..................:dunno

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.