Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, so i just bought a complete wall tent set up and am planning on seeting up on the ronde for a couple weeks. my window is from the 3rd week of september to the 3rd week in october. what is the tick/rattlesnake situation at that time? i have a coonhound that runs all over the place and i dont think i can live without her for that long, but also dont want to put her in harms way since she doesn't stick with me and runs off.
thanks for any info, and feel free to stop by camp
jed

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Hunting dog that doesn't stick with you and runs off? I don't think I can live without her for that long?
Maybe you should stay home with the dog.
Hunting dogs running wildlife is against the law.
Think about it.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
So what if she evades the ticks and rattlers but discovers a skunk instead? I have seen it happen on the Deschutes and they had to drive back to Portland with the dog in the car. Either that or shoot it. A lot of opportunities for a dog to go wrong spending that much time out in the bush..

Ive

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Ya, sounds like you need to train your dog. My 1 year old german shepard won't move a muscle without consent. No ticks that time of year. Dogs are usually smart enough to avoid rattelsnakes when they get the rattle. Bottom line is that your dog shouldn't be running free, especially if it is grown.

·
fly fisher
1,023 Posts
As a native of the Blue Mountains, I'd say you better worry less about ticks and snakes, and more about irritated ranchers. A free-roaming hound is likely to end up dead of lead poisoning in that part of the country (and in most ranch country on this continent for that matter). Buy a chain or better yet, invest in some dog-training time. And remember, there are no bad dogs, just bad dog-owners. Many ranchers will be keeping that mind and watching for folks looking for their 'lost dogs' even after taking care of the 'lost dog' in their own direct-action way.

·
Go Cougs!
431 Posts
I don't know the name if them, but there is a plant along the river with little football shaped burs. After a few days my dog did not want to go outside because they would get into her paws.

DKL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the insight on how to take care of my dog, obviously none of you who rudely responded have EVER had any experience with a hound what so ever, they are not the type to be chained up. Hounds roam but are also very loyal. i rescued my dog from a shelter up north and i was her 5th home in 2 years. i was just looking for some fucking insight, i know for a fact that i am the best home my dog could/would ever have. i wasn't looking for 8 responses telling me what an ass i am. thanks everybody
jed

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well I hope it works out for ya, never know till you try I suppose. Good luck with the fishing, Im sure ill be down there quite a bit in that period of time. I look forward to seeing ya out on the water. Ill have a Springer spaniel at my hip.

-Tight Lines
Blake

Ps. PAN, if you ever have an extra seat let me know! I have all the gas money and beer you will ever need! haha

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Jed, if I had a dog with me while I was fishing I would hope it wood be doing it's own thing on the river too. Doubt you'll have much trouble. Give it a shot and have a good time.
Cheers,
F.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Well, Coonhound I was hoping to give you some insight not start a pissin match.
I have owned hunting dogs for many many years as well as many of the other members here.
My, let the dog be free attitude cost me dearly one year and cost the dog her life because I wanted the dog to feel free, not chained to my side.
Just sayin, if you don't want to lose or have your dog in harms way, keep it with you or run with the dog.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I always have our dogs in their crates when I am fishing so they stay out of trouble. Hounds get lose all of the time over here, they are not labs. We've had them run across in front of us when we are hunting and it makes me laugh because you know they are on a trail of a cat or something. That is what hounds do and that is their job. Just make sure you have a good collar with id on it. Most ranchers are pretty understanding if they see a hunting collar and id on the dog because people use hounds to hunt things ranchers don't like! Friends have gps on their e-collars for hunting with their gsp's in the breaks and they work great; at least you know where the dog is. Ticks are gone but still a few snakes around. We started getting our hunting dogs the snake shots. Too late for you this year but something to consider in the future. One vet said they is no evidence they work, another said it provides enough protection to at least get the dog to the vet. I am like you, I like my dogs, so we got it in case it does work.

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
****, read your first post again and then you'll see why you got the responses you did. A dog that runs off in any area isn't one that's well appreciated. Whether it be in town or in the field. Ranchers don't like loose dogs on their property nor do fellow fishermen or even your neighbors in town. If my dog acted like that he'd be staying home.

All people here were doing was responding to you first post. Pretty simple. Get uptight about their advice or take it for what it's s worth. I thought most responses were pretty much straight to the point.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There are plenty of rattlers out there, and they don't all rattle in time for the dog to avoid. I would be very nervous about a dog roaming around those rocks and bushes. I had a friend lose a dog to a rattler (not on the Ronde but a different river in similar terrain) and I long ago made the choice not to bring mine out there. Those of you that know Scott O'Donnell also probably know he was bitten by a rattler on the Ronde a few years ago walking in the hills with his dog. In my opinion, bringing even my patient lab with me out there (who doesn't roam around while I am fishing) would put her at unnecessary risk.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
dude, it's a **** dog. If you aren't hunting why would you take it out of the kennel? I'd be more worried about ruining your hunting dog than it getting bit by a rattler. If you want to own a dog you can play with and hunt with, get a lab and start hunting birds. :)

If it's not a hunting dog, disregard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.