Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys well i just got back form the inaugural running of the Ronde in my brand spanking new raft! It was a hoot!!! Before i start rambling I want to give a big thanks to Jarad Skeels, with out him I would have done A LOT more pinballing!

Friday- Arrived mid afternoon, decided to do a little fishing after i claimed a camping spot. In 3 hours of fishing i hooked two and lost them both. I figured the next two days of the float would be a fishapoluza. I was wrong.

Saturday- Floated from Cable Car (cougar creek) to bogans. TOO HOT!! Was bright and sunny, i was burning up, made for a beautiful day of sightseeing. Skeels hooked two or three i think, with no fish to hand. Other fishing buddy found a native steel in the shallows acting very weird. It was half belly up, had some energy but wasn't going to make it, with no discerning marks we have no idea what happened to this beautiful fish...maybe caught and handled roughly? But that doesn't count as a catch because it was with his hands. We tried to revive it but it no avail. :beathead:

Sunday- after hearing various reports we decided to do the same float. Again hot as balls. Water temp actually increased that day. Heard the water temp was low 60's although i did not have a thermometer to confirm, but it sure felt that. Allow me to use a football analogy for this next part, It was the 4th quarter 1 second on the clock, 4th and goal at the 1 yard line. Skeels comes through with a nymphed up fish!!! Two turns before bogans. Hatchery Brat!! WOOHOO! That makes the trip a no skunk and good mojo for my new boat!:thumb: We did catch a TON of trout. The trout were hitting anything we threw at them. Skeels is also the new Grande Ronde Trout Master, a title i gave him for his uncanny ability to catch trout on a steelhead trip:rofl:.

All in all it was an awesome trip! A good time with good friends.ptyd I love that place, i have been fishing it for years and it just gets in your blood. If you go down i am sure you won't regret it, unless you have to catch a fish to be happy, then you may. There is my Grande Ronde Report for the weekend of 10-10-10. Take a look at the album...lots of raft shots! :beer2:

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/Big_dutt51/Grande Ronde/

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Good looking raft Nate. Good looking fish. Good looking dog. Not so sure about that JS guy though! Sounds like a fun trip even though the weather and fish were not totally cooperative.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sweet raft! Congrats on getting the skunk off of her. One suggestion, when fishing eastside rivers carry a thermometer as those temps can get into dangerous levels by late afternoon and evening.

·
GO COUGS
786 Posts
Awesome Report. The raft looks sweet and its always good to hear that somebody brought a fish or two in while they hit he water. I was down on Saturday and it was a beautiful day on the river. Fished a couple of my favorite spots but just caught alot of trout. Had one Steele on for a short while, played him for a few seconds but he gave me a good jump, looked me in the eye, and spit my fly right back at me.

Congrats on the great day on the water and getting the skunk off the new raft. It looks awesome! Someday ill have one of my own i hope! Keep hitting that river, it really does get into your blood!!

G

·
I WILL TAKE THE RAFT PM SENT! oh this is the wrong place... thought it was the classifieds. Nice report.

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ryan a thermo is a great idea...I guess i never thought i had use for one but in this case i would have...good call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.