Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brian Perry
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When does the summer run begin??

I read somewhere that the Steelhead run all year because of the hatchery operations.... though July/August is when the good times roll. Is this true? Does anybody have more info?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts

Does anyone know when it opens back up for the steelies?? I suppose I could look at the regs but im lazy and just want to go fishing ;-)

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
31 Posts

No exactly sure when the river re-opens, I think it is last weekend of May, but check the regs.

A lot of guys float from Wallow canyon down to Troy during the Summer time for Trout and Small Mouth Bass. It is acouple days float.

As far as steelheading, the season truly starts in mid-sept and runs all winter long until April 15th (Bogans/Troy area). If you want go battle the crowds at the mouth, it does start in August, but the real push is Sept/Oct.

Dale and Gale at Blue Mountain Anglers in Pendleton are up to speed about the GR. Here is a link to their web site:
http://www.blumtn-anglers-flyshop.com/

Good luck :thumb

·
resident lurker
131 Posts
If you're going for trout, try the shallower faster-moving water. Apparently they're more comfortable there during the heat of the summer. One of the guys in that store next to the bridge on the river gave me this tip and i was able to catch a couple straight away, both about 12". From what i hear that's about average size (although this was a few years ago). Hopper patterns are pretty popular during the summer down there, too.
I accidentally caught my first steelhead there in August fishing for trout, using a Muddler Minnow. (who knew?) Once the steelhead start running heavy later in the fall it gets pretty crowded, but it's a nice place to fish in mid-summer.
There's pretty good shore access at both places-at the mouth, and at the Hwy 129 bridge, but float it if you can. Saw some guy catching smallmouth out of there, too.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts

My bad....I didnt mean to come across as though I wouldnt check the regs.....Obviously I would check em before I fished it ;-). I was just saying what I said for times sake and that I was at work and wondering if anyone knew off hand.

Im quite familiar with the river itself and am excited for this fall and the floats we have planned.

~Patrick ><>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.