Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to go to the Grand Ronde on an up coming weekend is this a decent time of year to fly fish there for steelhead ? Any suggestions as to fly patterns to use ?
Thank you for your time,
Fly Rod : :THUMBSUP

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
I was at the GR earlier in the winter, and its a great place! I would plan on staying in Lewiston or Clarkston, and driving to the river each morning. That's at least what my buddy and I did. If you have a camper there is a good, free area down at Schumacher's, but I hear that 4x4's are necessary for the grade up and down now. Bogen's "resort" is quite far from Clarkston, and you would do well to stay there if you are going to fish the part above the canyon.

I can't say much about the fishing, but there is a thread on Piscatorial Pursuits about the fishing going on right now. I read through it last night.

There is a good fly shop in Lewsiton that could advise on flies for now, but I forget the name. They are on the main street that runs SE-NW. :DUNNO

Enjoy your trip. The spot is great enough without a fish.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Asotin (just south of Clarkston), and fish the GR whenever I can :BIGSMILE . Caught a nice little hen yesterday. Wooly buggers have been working well, but, this time of year you really are at the mercy of the weather. The river was flowing at 960 cfs about 10 days ago, and went up to 4250 cfs in a span of 18 hours! It is now down to 1300 and fishable again. So, check the weather forecasts. I fish just above Boggan's Oasis. Easy access and good fishing. Good Luck! :THUMBSUP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.