1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Let's Go Brandon!!
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I'm a little confused. Is it spey rods only for now? G-rods site really has little information on the rod's specs and appeared to be out of stock. States to contact dealers for more information, why not publish specifications of each rod? Any how it does seem interesting.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Graphene is pretty amazing. I would put making leisure items lighter quite a ways down the list of potential uses, from what I have read about the stuff.
Though true Kyle, there's a big arena for "the latest and greatest".

Marketing has a funny way of making people buy, what they don't need.

That said, not sure the sales would ever be high enough to justify the cost.

·
Let's Go Brandon!!
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys have posted some great thoughts about this "incorporation" of graphene. It's going to be interesting. I'm especially looking forward to reading comments from WFF-ers that've actually had a chance to cast one of these rods. And, FWIW, I'm not looking to buy, just interested, for some reason, in how this all plays out......

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No mention to the weight of the rod. That should be a selling point if it really is that much lighter. Lots of gimmicky stuff out there, but you'd think if the application were correct the rods would be pretty sweet. Not too many gimmicks have a Nobel prize attached to them and are used so widely in other sports. Very intriguing...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
No mention to the weight of the rod. That should be a selling point if it really is that much lighter. Lots of gimmicky stuff out there, but you'd think if the application were correct the rods would be pretty sweet. Not too many gimmicks have a Nobel prize attached to them and are used so widely in other sports. Very intriguing...
Weight is only one factor in a rod and is pretty low on my priority scale. Give me a rod that casts to my style, is 'soft' enough to detect the slightest take, has enough backbone to land a lunker, supple enough to utilize the entire rod to protect the tippet, and not break when hit by a bead head. Sounds like an IM6, moderate action rod or some nice glass rods.

Fisherman should fish smart. It is not how many casts one makes, it is the quality of the cast and placement among other things.

I can have the lightest rod but if it does not cast well, protect the tippet, and is easy to one's style, then it is just another money waster IMHO...,

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I have read that graphene has an incredible tensile strength (modulus) but just like carbon fiber, it is very brittle. So in theory, the strongest material ever could make incredibly light, strong rods that would break all the time like a Sage One.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
As to the weight issue. Regardless of any manufacturer's marketing baggage. Lighter is not better!!!!!!!!

Tips on most rods these days are physically too light and they do not effectively load the rest of the rod. Nearly every rod on the market would be improved by adding weight to the top end.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Weight is only one factor in a rod and is pretty low on my priority scale. Give me a rod that casts to my style, is 'soft' enough to detect the slightest take, has enough backbone to land a lunker, supple enough to utilize the entire rod to protect the tippet, and not break when hit by a bead head. Sounds like an IM6, moderate action rod or some nice glass rods.

Fisherman should fish smart. It is not how many casts one makes, it is the quality of the cast and placement among other things.

I can have the lightest rod but if it does not cast well, protect the tippet, and is easy to one's style, then it is just another money waster IMHO...,
Agree with you there. I just thought it was one of their selling points. If the rod could feel great and cast great, yet be stronger and lighter it would be pretty cool. We'll see if this stuff pans out. There were probably plenty of naysayers with the introduction of graphite. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
205 Posts
IMO, many of the rods today boast that this material is stronger, lighter, etc, but that doesn't always translate to a better rod on the river.

Sure you can possibly cast them a country mile in the parking lot, but at what cost? Give me an IM6, for example, that may not cast to the far side of the parking lot but is much more fishable than many of today's rods.

How many people would buy a new IM6 with the action of the Loomis blanks vs the fast action rods of today, with price being equivalent?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
As with the "first-use" with the nano-engineered resins from 3m, the first graphene rods to hit the market are, not surprisingly, letting us fill in the blanks with what we don't know. If they were made entirely of graphene and not just graphene added to existing carbon fiber, we wouldn't be able to afford them yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.