Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever fish this river. Was thinking bout going up there on the fourth (praying it won't be crowded). And if so what are the road conditions like and can you wade it easily? Thanks !:smokin

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've fished it a couple of times. Its a lot of fun cause its really small and pretty. There are plenty of small trout and quite a few bull trout/dollys in the bigger pools. Later on it will be full of Pinks, but now it should fish well. Last year at this time it was ridiculously high and unwadeable, but this year it should be low enough... if not, there is a trail that follows the river for several miles.

Let me know how you do. Good luck!
Jeremy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I fished the Gray Wolf two weekends ago and it was gushing pretty good. Regrettably, I did not land a fish. By the 4th, the river should be in better shape. The Gray Wolf and Upper Dungeness are beautiful places to fish and have decent trout populations, including some big dollies. Be advised that it is also black bear country.

·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the Heads up on the Bears. Don't need to compete with one of those. I have a funny I would not win!is that true what Old Man said about allow the hunters to bait for bears. That's kinda scary when you think about it.:thumb

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
I've fished the area quite a bit. There a few surprises here and there with the occassional bigger bow, cuttie, brookie, or dolly\bull, but most fish are 4 to 6 inchers and take a lot of work to find. Bush wacking in devils clubs and other thick bushes is common(lots of salmon berry, netles, and other thick tree\bushes). Getting room for any sort of back cast is hard unless you find a few of the open areas where you may find a rock or 2 to stand on. Wading is doable depending on the flows and the stretch of water you are on. Most of my fish came by 'dapping' flys on the surface with just a little line out and just reaching out as far as I could to pockets and pools. Also try bh wooly buggers and either just dap them in and let them sink in a pool or pocket, or feed out some line and let the current pull the fly and line under the brush and cut banks.

·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info ! how is the Dry fly Action? and what about the traditional Wets like Gray hackle peacocks etc..and is there any good primitive camp spots for tent camping? Sounds like a good river I can't wait see it.Almost kinda reminds me of the upper stretches of the Coweeman. You gotta bush wack that area too. alot of native cutts up there.:D

G

·
NW -
As if you need further encouragement, this is a special little river and you are in for a treat. While the trout are typical of higher gradient, relatively nutrient poor westside streams, "the environs" where they are found will keep you satisfied at the very least. And, as has been already illuded to, there are some surprises.

If you are into a hike, I hear that the trout fishing up towards Cameron Creek can be splendid. For my part, this is a river of my youth. I was thirteen and a few years separated from spending five years in Anchorage when I took an August outing with Grandma Betty and the late Grandpa Vern to where the forest service road crosses the river. There's a camping spot there... Much to my delight, this little stream yielded a brace of 13" dollies out of a pool I'd been trying to get the attention of a couple big kings from. I remember a couple summer runs drifting in and out of the shade at the far-end tailout... That was in 1981.

Looking rather forward to your report. Too many other waters have kept me from returning to this little gem in the two decades since... it is probably about time I grew reaquainted.

Good Luck and Enjoy
:beer2

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Yes that is what they did but can't do it anymore. Just as long as you don't roll yourself in bacon grease you should be alright. I'm kind of sorry I brought it up then again if you all stay out of the woods there will be more fishing for me.}(
Just be loud if your alone and sing out every once in a while.

Jim

·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my ! lol. I guess it can get pretty hairy out in the woods sometimes but ya just gotta be on your gaurd (intensely, now that you guys have scared the bejesus outta me!) I can't wait to get to that river now. it sounds spectactular, the scenery alone is going to be worth the trip. :eek

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
First, I wish you well. I have never fished this river except in the fall when the Coho are in below the hatchery. This is a sickening sight to see, gear boys with bobbers and jigs snagging fish left and right. You can't get a fly down in this hole, but their one ounce
jigs are just murder. Be careful about two things: one is the king salmon: they may number less than a hundred by now so don't target them in any way. The dollies are also endangered and must be released unharmed. As for smolts, there must be plenty because hatchery fish often stray from their natal pens.
Good luck and please don't harm the fishery.
Thanks,
Bob:thumb

·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the Advice. really saddens me to see snaggers we have a major problem on the Washougal with that. I will make sure I stay away from the kings. and you know what's wierd I can remember the last time I kept a fish and it so wierd I just can't keep them anymore. Freaks me out now. I have to much respect for them. I know that may sound crazy to some. but the whole time I just keep thinking how majesctic that Brownie was flyin thru the air, man that is an awesome site.
Steve:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went in there last year in mid July and it was still flowing good, but I caught fish. I would guess that July 4th would be similar and it will be challenging crossing at Scab Ck (which is your main access to the upper part). Check out last years report on Westfly.com. http://www.westfly.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/000078.html

It is a very cool place near Scab Creek. Watch out for TRex.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.