Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Art 'n Fish
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm enjoying the art of fly fishing and am now taking up oil painting with a lot of difficulty. I hear from others to paint what you have a passion for. I love seeing great fly fishing photography that captures the moment as it puts me right there on the river or lake with all the smells and sounds. Could I create this with a paint brush? Maybe someday or at least I'm going to give it a shot. We have some great artists in our area and on theses pages so I am wondering who is your favorite fly fishing artist of past or present?...or any wildlife artist for that matter?

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Joseph Tomelleri is amazing. Skilled scientific technician.
Charles Hudson from 100+ years ago was a master.

Mark Susinno might be your style? Oil/Acrylic in full fishing scenes
http://www.natureartists.com/artists/artist_artwork.asp?ArtistID=665

JJ Audubon, as far as nature artist, is my favorite. No cameras, crappy conditions. Amazing work. If you get a chance to see his originals in person-often only in New York..do it !

·
Art 'n Fish
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gyrfalcon...Mark Susinno does great work. I'm thinking more of the landscape/fisherman's experience. I remember looking down a beach on the Kitsap Peninsula seeing multiple fly fishermen with there lines flying...It was a thing of beauty...or a line being taken down a beautiful slow moving stream with anticipation on the face of the fisherman. There is a lot of beauty out there even if the fishing is slow. I would really like to bring these moments inside the home when we can't be out in the water.

Water Plant Sky Natural landscape Paint

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Very good, I see what you are getting to in mind. Yes, the scenery is/ or more important than the fishing. I have 2 hard rules fishing. Pretty scenery, 0 people-mostly. Crowds/shotguns/loud boats=go home.
Fly fishing is a gentle and quiet sport. What you see while connected to the stream with your feet is the magic. I don't do well in boats.
Hope to see your work continue!

·
Art 'n Fish
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look like "happy trees" :)

Sorry, I've recently been watching the old TV oil painting series (with the guy in an Afro) on Netflix and he paints mostly scenery with what he calls happy trees.
I didn't ever watch that show although my Mother did get his videos and paints. She made a great attempt at it.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
He was a pretty good artist and I picked up a few tips from his shows.... his comments while instructing, however, were very similar to Mr Rogers so his sickening sweetness was hitting 11 on a dial that tops out at 10...

You can only take so much of "friendly rocks", "happy trees" and "smiling clouds"... before you finally mute the show.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Yeah, I seem to remember reading something along those lines. I don't really mute the sound but sometimes his reference to inanimate objects that he is painting is beyond the pale (whatever the hell that means) :)

He basically painted landscapes like the ones some folks bought at Sears to hang on their walls. But that's okay, like I said, I picked up some painting tips from the show back when I was painting with oil.

I now watch the re-runs because it's kind'a relaxing to watch someone paint... silly comments and all.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Thanks Gyrfalcon...Mark Susinno does great work. I'm thinking more of the landscape/fisherman's experience. I remember looking down a beach on the Kitsap Peninsula seeing multiple fly fishermen with there lines flying...It was a thing of beauty...or a line being taken down a beautiful slow moving stream with anticipation on the face of the fisherman. There is a lot of beauty out there even if the fishing is slow. I would really like to bring these moments inside the home when we can't be out in the water.

View attachment 119509
You have a great sense of hue, saturation, color.. whatever word I am looking for. Really, really nice work!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.