Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Tiger Muskies are probably getting some size by now and are catchable via fly according to posts I've read. The teeth are razor sharp however and when I fished Muskies & Northern Pike years ago, steel leader was mandatory. Not sure what the flyfisherperson does to keep their flies from being taken with the first bite? If you can figure that out, Big flys that resemble shiners, small fish, maybe even the notorious "mouse" pattern are what those Muskies want to eat. Maybe one of those marshmallow easter "ducklings" too but I haven't seen that tied yet. Good luck if ya go & let us know if you produce. Oh, last thing, they are getting size & a 6 wt. might be good for backbone. They could play havoc with anything smaller if you hook one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think they rent boats. How do you fish for Muskies in the winter? I know in the spring they like stuff on the surface. I don't think Green lake is much more than 10 feet deep. Would a type III full sink work? Do you cast to them or drag a big streamer pattern?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey-

Finally a topic I know something about! I used to fish extensively for muskie while I grew up in Wisconsin and Minnesota and have caught about 100 of them. I have used both conventional gear and a fly rod. While I cannot say I have landed one on a fly rod I have had several hard takes and I can tell you it feels like a hand grenade going off on the end of your line when it happens. Quite exhilirating to say the least. In the midwest muskie like the gawdiest things. Chartreuse green, red, red and yellow, red and brown all catch fish. Crippled looking fish are really an obvious choice. Retrieve accordingly (ie. eratic and jerky). Also, I have been able to see almost every bite I have had from muskie so don't worry about getting too deep, they like noise and flash and will come up a ways to hit it. They like to lay in weeds and ambush from there. I don't know if air craft cable is necessary for tippet. Notice I haven't landed one but I can all but gurantee lighter will mean more hookups and they are extremely resilient fish, if they end up with your fly in their mouth they will shake it or live through it. If you are fortunate enough to hook one in the corner of the mouth you can get by with quite light line but if you get in to their teeth they will be waving good bye in a hurry. I don't know how active they will be in the winter, check your water temps and then check them against the more productive months in WI and MN lakes. Good luck. Email me if you want to know anything. I may or may not be able to help.

Later

JOsh :beer2 :beer2

·
Registered
777 Posts
For those of you interested in fly fishing for muskies, I'll post a little article I wrote on setting up leaders for toothy fish, hope it helps!

worldanglr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.