Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a couple of hours throwing large (4-6 inch) marabou and fish hair type minnow patterns with floating line and fast strip last night on Green Lake around Duck Island. Water temp about 52 degreed. No fish. Any clues where these fish are and what will move them to strike.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Never caught one myself... Want to though, so I've read everything I can find. My understanding is that in the spring (whatever THAT means!) fish the way you did, where you would expect to catch Largemouth. Might try different retrieves though. Fast retrieves may leave you fishless in 52 degree water... Also, these fish, like many other sterile fish, may have a false "spawn" where they do the prespawn active thing, and may even lay up a little. No consensus on that between authors, but a very real possibility. Keep trying !!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
a friend of mine caught four of them last year. great big ugly teeth - wonderful fish. his technique is exactly what you described and his success ratio was once every fourth time out. in minnesota they call muskies the fish of 10,000 casts. so keep doing it and enjoy the slashing takes when they come.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I understand the gear guys fish with rapala plugs, spinnerbaits and topwater baits in the spring, then move to deep sunken baits in the summer.

Last year I heard of some success on a black bugger. I have no idea if there is a plan for how to catch them that's evoloved yet.

Here's one story about catching muskies on flies: http://www.danblanton.com/cindy.html

·
Registered
777 Posts
That story is about catching Northern Pike on a fly, not Muskies :) I've caught both, and Northern's are much easier.

Double bunny in the spring, in the summer fish a moonless night with the largest Dalhberg Mega-Diver you can find, black works good. Think big, big fish big fly. Your imitating a large baitfish.

I've used 80 pound Mason Hard mono or American Fishing Wire leaders.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Worldanglr, the question is: since a tiger muskie is a hybrid of a muskie and a pike, is it more muskie or more pike, for purposes of your assertion that pikes are easier to catch? :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I used to live in Ballard on 8th and Market right after I got out of college. I was doing a legal internship and its safe to say that I didn't have much cash. I fished Green Lake out of necessity. So, I guess I know a thing or two about it.

At dusk you can usually see the Tiger Muskies with their upper third out of the water thrashing and tearing the poor stocker trout (I assume). I've heard that they prefer the soft trout first and the rougher fishes secondary.

This time of year, I saw most tiger muskies in the SE corner of the lake, not Duck Island. This is the area nearest the baseball fields and runs the shoreline to the 65th St dock. Hope that helps in your quest. Also, a large concentration of rough fishes are found in the proximity of the bay of the rowing club. This is the shallowest section of the lake. If you want, in my notebook I have sketched a bathometric map from some Fish and Game studies of Green Lake indicating likely spots to find fish. I can provide you with this map. If I get too many requests, it will be cheaper to scan and download it than mail everybody.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Surface waking flies, like a deer-hair shrew,(A.K. Best), or a bass bug, will take these fish, as will baitfish patterns, leeches, bunnies etc. If you are working from a boat, cast to the weedbeds that get the most sunlight,with the sun at your back ; drop the fly at the very edges of the vegetation,let it sit still a moment or two, then strip in short panicky strips- just try to think like a paranoid little baitfish that is trying to get away from those choppers! I like the fine wire leaders with light vinyl coating."Fishwire" is the better one for these fish, maybe six or eight pound test. It is very fine and tieable too. Does not kink badly. Otherwise I would use a "Bite-Guard" of heavy stiff mono, maybe 20-30 lbs test and about twelve inches long, tied right to a level leader of four to six feet of Maxima, maybe 15 lb test. Yes, you can go lighter, but the abrasion and weed rolling and debris these fish raise in a brief wallowing fight will break off the fish and lose the fly.Fun on a seven weight.Lighter rods will tire these fish needlessly. They do tire easily and for all their brawling reputation, it is an anticlimactic landing and release. Just watch your hands and fingers.My dad, as a boy in the midwest, used to shoot muskies in the head with a .22 before boating them.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Shooting fish is not only illegal, but it is a really an iffy sort of business. I used to shoot salmon as a commercial salmon fisherman (legal to do) and the results were always very mixed. Sometimes they would die instantly from the concussion; at other times, they would bolt light lighting.
One time a bigger boat came along side and told me that if I ever used a gun again, he would cut me in half. I gave him the finger but I never used the gun again for some unexplained reason.x(

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Get your hands on a good ol fashioned "jaw spreader." Kidding, but seriously, the teeth can do damage. I've caught a ton of pike but never the elusive muskie. I have seen them cruising the shallows in MN lakes. Green Lake is a bit of an anomaly, but generally speaking, these fish like to stalk the drops and points just outside shallow bays to ambush fish. They tend to be somewhat territorial and stationary. In the heat of summer, high-speed retrieves work. While I landed many big pike on surface lures (Rapala jointed minnows) muskie seem to prefer a baitfish imitation (I offer this not based on my own success, but muskie guide friends- truth be told I never had the patience to fish them much). I don't know if the tigers tend towards pike behavior or muskie behavior. I do know where the old MN state record tiger muskie was landed in Lake Calhoun, an urban lake in Minneapolis similar to Green Lake. 33 lbs. The guy stalked it for weeks, it never moved much, and was in a drop off after a narrows. Sucker minnow and bobber if memory serves. He carried it to the nearby grocery store and had it weighed on their meat scale. Take your big fish to Albertson's and start your own local folk legend! I used to hang out at Minnehaha Bait and Tackle back in college, fishing the urban lakes and river for walters, smallies and pike, that story was repeated daily. Some of the best pike fishing is during bankers hours in bright sun... you just never know about them crazy inbred muskies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.