Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite aspects of fly fishing is the wonderful places and possibilities that exist when we visit the water; whether its a familiar river or stream, there are always questions and new discoveries to be made. I've made the trip to Dutch John, UT two years running now. 8-9K fish per mile, browns and rainbows, great people, beautiful scenery, and just wild enough to get away, but not logistically challenging. The town of Dutch John is small, and roughly 60 miles to the South of Rock Springs, WY. The river is grouped into three sections (A,B,C) with A being the first seven miles below the Flaming Gorge Dam. Fishing there is pretty simple - most runs lead into deep, clear pools with holding fish. Several rapids make the float fun, and during this trip, at 4800 cfs, a Class III experience.

We spent 7 days on the river, each day beginning around 1030 and off the river by 7-8. The lower sections are variable fishing based on run-off from natural creeks and drainages; Red Creek was flowing so the water in B was muddy and not worth the float. During the spring and fall, this river is perfect for multi-day floats.

There is a guide association there (GROGA - Green River Outfitter and Guide Association) and they are very protective of their water - lots of signs posted that warn potential clients of the legal impacts of hiring a non-GROGA guide. They say it's a felony to fish without a GROGA guide if you're paying for it.

The fishing was ok - we arrived on a Sunday with water at 850 cfs, then the next day up to 4800. It took a few days for the fish to get comfortable, and most of the catching was done sub-surface with attractor patterns (read SJ worms, egg patterns, etc) for those that preferred to. The group I was in fished streamers and nymphs (Pat's Stone and a Lightning Bug were money there too!) and some dries - the hatches were small and sporadic. I did manage to pull a 18" brown on a dry from a seam I must have cast to 80 times - but I could see the fish holding and licking his lips, so I kept at it.

Some missteps, laughs, "shoulda-woulda's" and "oops" made the trip complete, including digging out the aid kit to remove a hook from someone's scalp - the video's on my Facebook page if you want to see it.

Most remarkable was the wind - felt like being at home on the Yakima - but stronger. 70 MPH winds all day snapped oars and tree limbs - we watched a 12' section of a Ponderosa Pine come free and plunge 100' to the water below, maybe 30 yards from our boats. Oar blade snapped trying to hold the boat off the walls. Good thing for spares.

It's worth the 15 hour drive from Dutch John home to Snoqualmie, and we'll be back next year - but during lower flows. They ramped the water to full capacity to meet the Yampa at her highest. Still caught fish, but not like the 40+ per day last year.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Derek

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Derek, amazing report and photos. Great big smile behind that nice brown too. I can see why you would be drawn to a place like that...where are you going next?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed, that's a "get my fishing in before the summer starts" trip and I'm guiding more than fishing - next on the trip planner is a multi-day jaunt on the Grande Ronde/Wallowa in NE Oregon. I'll probably go back to the Green River in Sept. for a One-Fly event though.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Derek, that sounds like a heck of a plan. I hope your guide days are full, long and productive for your clients to get you really ready to fish for yourself. Ed

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
A bit o SRC chasing, maybe some resident coho and some lake time before it gets too hot. Then the ocean going salmon might be showing up to a few places we can reach them. Next up is going and getting lost in the woods somewhere, hopefully a nice report will follow. Ten days can't fly by fast enough. I'll be in touch with you about some possible float time in early August.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
You bet, and if you have open days when you are not booked up and want to come over tell me. I can flex my schedule to try to accomodate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.